Moving to PT with Down Syndrome – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Moving to PT with Down Syndrome

Posts: 2
Premium Member
Topic starter
New Member
Joined: 9 months ago
Quick question about relocating to PT with an adult child who is a Down Syndrome person. Our son is turning 18 tomorrow! We have contacted an attorney and are attempting to discern if establishing Power of Attorney will suffice, or whether we should attempt full Guardianship. This is particularly relevant for us, since we will need to obtain a PT visa for him and he will not have any personal income. I want to attempt to make visa this as easy for him/us as possible...any advice would be hugely appreciated!!
Muito obrigado!
3 Replies

Posts: 307
VIP Member
Reputable Member
Joined: 15 years ago

Hi Craig,

Cant help you I'm afraid, but Happy birthday to your son!


Posts: 68
Premium Member
Trusted Member
Joined: 1 year ago

Hi Craig, 

I would think the easiest for you would be to get your D7 Visa, then have your son join you under the Family Reunification Visa program. Here's the link on the Family Reunification portion. 

Family reunification - General Information - National Visas - Visa (

This is their definition of *family members*. I would think that your son, even though not a minor... would be considered a "dependent" to one, or both of you. 

The following are considered family members of a residing foreign national:

  • Spouse;
  • Minor children; or any dependent to one of the spouses;
  • Minors adopted by a non-married applicant, by the applicant himself or the spouse, following a decision by the competent authority from the country of origin, as long as the law of the country recognizes adopted children the same rights and duties as to natural children, and as the decision is recognized by Portugal. Non-minor children, dependent to the couple or one of the spouses, single and studying in a Portuguese institution, when the residency permit has been granted in compliance with article 90 A;
  • First degree lineal ascendants, dependents of either the resident or his/her spouse;
  • Minor brothers or sisters, as long as under the guardianship of the resident, when in harmony with a decision issued by the competent authority from the country of origin, and as long as such a decision is recognized in Portugal.

Checking with an attorney is probably a great idea... but basically you would get your visa, then have your family join you in Portugal once yours is approved. 

Hope it all works out and Happy Birthday to your son!



Posts: 149
Ask Our Expats Consultant
Joined: 10 months ago

I can't advise on your visa application, but this organisation may be useful to you when you move here:


  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!


By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year


Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.



NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.




The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online