NIF update – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

NIF update

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@goldendoodle)

What is current status of obtaining NIF? I’m visiting in Algarve now. Heard only appointments being done. No walkins? What is turn around time? Any online? 

8 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

COVID-19: FINANCE - TAX AND CUSTOMS AUTHORITY : Information updated on September 9, 2021

There is a facility for it to be done online but as far as I know, you'd need to have an appointed fiscal representative do it for you. 

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@goldendoodle)

I have financial rep. Heard it’s taking 3 weeks to get appointment. Usually depends on office. Does anyone know the time wait in Algarve?

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@goldendoodle I'm curious - why would you have nominated a fiscal rep but not yet have a NIF? Normally you'd only appoint one if you're resident outside the EU and you have financial dealings in PT. If you didn't have one already, obtaining a NIF would be one of the first things you'd do (or get them to do for you) after appointing them.

They can do it online on your behalf, so you can avoid the inconvenience / delay in getting or attending a face to face appointment.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@goldendoodle)

Unfortunately not all lawyers in Portugal act quickly. Having a sit down this morning with him. Opening bank account on list to do here. Also have bought a house. Just wanted someone with experience the current state of getting NIF. An local attorney said they were doing in person only and it takes 3 weeks for appointment. Trying to figure out the truth of it.

Community Member
(@sonia)
Trusted Member

My understanding is that they are now open so they should accept walk ins, however they may have a maximum number of people to accept, they usually give  a ticket and when all tickets are  gone you cannot get one until the next day.

3 weeks for an appointment seems a bit much but it may be in a specific location, in busier cities there will be more people, if you can go to a smaller town it will be faster, you didn’t say where you are in the Algarve. I know that in Faro they where scheduling appointments for the next week, this was in the last week of September.

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online