Nursing Homes in Portugal – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Nursing Homes in Portugal

lar
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@lar)

I currently have a house in the Silver coast which I use for holidays but I would like to consider moving there permanantly but I couldn't leave my Grandparents behind. My Grandma is in a Nursing Home in the UK an would need similar care in Portugal. Does anyone know of a Nursing home in the Silver Coast area where they speak English?

Thanks

19 Replies

VIP Member
(@spownall)
Illustrious Member

Hi and welcome to the forum 8)

Sorry, can't help with your question but I'm sure someone in that neck of the woods will be along shortly.

Whereabouts on the Silver Coast?

-Simon

lar
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@lar)

Thanks.
My House is near Alcobaca, so with regards to nursing homes anything near Alcobaca, Nazare etc.

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

Greetings all,  I am considering retirement at 70 to Central/Northern area and wondering what aged care is available in Portugal in general?  In a country where children care for their old folks, I wonder if care homes are even a thing? 😧 

14 Replies
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Estimable Member

@dann Hi Dann, I don't know about specific places but what I can tell you is what I know as a current US citizen of Portuguese heritage who grew up in and currently live in and around large communities of Portuguese people in the Central Valley of California. Many current second/third generation Portuguese families here are sending their parents and grandparents (they are PT citizens) back to Portugal for care as they need it as it is soo expensive in the US/California it is unaffordable for most.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@bert

The "sending home" phenomenon often mirrors the situation of expats in Portugal, who have generally returned to their former home country when living alone has become unrealistic. For this reason (and in relation to funding), relatively little non-Portuguese (in linguistic or nationality terms) care exists, at least across the country as a whole, compared to what might be expected for the proportions of expats. 

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

@thomasandmatthew  Hey Thom and Matt, Thanks for your insight.  My second thought is that perhaps one could hire private in-home care when it becomes necessary.  It's not a bad idea to plan for these things before the need arises.

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

@bert Thanks for your reply Bert.  I am from Visalia and had limited contact with the Portuguese community mainly in Hanford, but was unaware that they would send elderly back to PT for aged care.  Most of those folks were from the Azores.

(@thomasribatejo)

@dann care homes are very much a thing in Portugal. Whilst families may still be close knit compared to the US/UK, there are different dynamics at play. Many working age people are in cities or abroad, far from their older relatives, to earn better incomes to support their younger families, leaving older relatives behind. This is not to be negative about Portugal, but in practical and relative terms, many older people here live alone, or live in care homes.  Regulation of care homes is a fairly hot topic, with COVID having exposed "illegal" (=unregistered) homes, which exist because, whilst the costs of care are cheaper than, say, the US, they are often unaffordable by Portuguese standards (for example, 3x the minimum wage).

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

@thomasandmatthew  Good information Thomas, thanks.  My plan would be to remain in PT in my doddering days.  A Portuguese care home would be fine with me if cost wasn't prohibitive.  In-home care seems like a viable solution until full-time care becomes necessary, but even then one could hire a live-in caregiver.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@dann. Depending on how much assistance one requires, an arrangement such as Lar no Lar (which was a featured interview on Good Morning PT a week or so ago) could also be a solution.

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

@jeanne Thanks Jeanne.  I saw that interview with Lar no Lar and that's what got me to thinking about the subject.  They would be an excellent resource when the time comes.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@dann  and what I found appealing about Law no Lar is that it has benefits for both parties.

(@pamalcobaca)

@dann There are Santa Casa da Misericórdia homes all over the country, they provide care homes, home help services and our local one has just built some residential home units for people over 65 who don't need support

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

@pamalcobaca Thank you Pam.  It sounds like there are several possibilities for old age care in PT.  I'll be researching more about Santa Casa, but in the meantime my plans to move to PT continue! 😀 

(@thomasribatejo)

There are hundreds of Santa Casas, each an independent charity set up to care for those without means or options, linked to a particular settlement. Lisbon's is a vast operation; in small towns, they can be one small care facility. As a result, it's most useful to research the provision in the towns you're looking at, as there's no single national approach, and care quality and options will be very different between places.

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

Thomas, thanks for that.  I see that Braganca has a large Casas facility and that's an area I'm interested in.

Hel
Community Member
(@hel)

Hel
Community Member
(@hel)

Hi Dann, there are good care homes in Portugal. Both private and state funded. However the problem will be the English speaking part of things. Looking at it from a different angle, which is very common in Portugal, you will easily get a local person to look after your grandparents at home for a very reasonable price! They can be live-in, permanent, or part-time. You can tailor it they way it suits you best. You will find that portuguese generations currently in their 40s and younger, will have good enough English for the job.

Here is an example of a site with adverts of that kind and prices:

Emprego Urgente: Cuidar de idosos em Portugal - Maio 2021 - Jooble

1 Reply
 Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

@hel  Thanks hel.  Good and useful information!

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online