Online Security for Sending Personal Documents -- What have you used? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Online Security for Sending Personal Documents -- What have you used?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@kkcwalton)
Estimable Member

Hi everyone, we're in the middle of sending documents to agents in Portugal and have already been subject to our passports and driver's licenses being forwarded in unencrypted emails -- both by Ei! and Millennium bank.  This exposes us to identify theft which is a very real problem in the online world.  Perhaps I'm paranoid being from the US, but from here it's no joke.

We've been delivering online documents to Ei! via Dropbox (only allowing recipient access), and have used Google encrypted emails to send to Millennium.  Both have worked fine but what we can't prevent is people in Portugal sending the documents on in unencrypted emails.  I've spoken with both Ei! and Millennium and asked them to be more careful with our data going forward.

@alleycat reports using, "the WhatsApp app which works both over your smartphone and using your computer as well, to send photos and documents with encryption...all for free.  As well, you can make phone calls to and from PT for free... My only reservation is it is now owned by Zuckerberg, FYI."

@jgibson reports using DHL to deliver documents successfully.

How have you used to send private documents in a secure fashion?  We would greatly appreciate learning from your advice, recommendations and experiences!  Thank you.

Topic Tags
8 Replies

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)
Estimable Member

You are wise to be concerned. I recently lost a large amount of money while in Portugal due to a scam. Better to go slow than suffer what I did. Use DHL or another service like it.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@kkcwalton)

Estimable Member

@ralf Oh Ralf, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Would you be willing to share what we should watch out for to be sure we don't fall into the same scam?  Hope all is going better for you now.

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)
Eminent Member

Hi,

The problem is more at the other end.  Dropbox is a good solution as the files in Dropbox are encrypted and sent over an encrypted channel.  The files can be password protected, even better and you can add a second factor of authentication.  So once the recipient has the information that is where the problem reside, you don't know what they do to it and that is the case no matter how you "share' the information.  You can also grant read-only permissions so it can't be changed. HTH.

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@kkcwalton)

Estimable Member

@jeanmori7 Thanks for your assessment.  That's what we've decided as well.  It's just concerning that the level of awareness for data security in Portugal doesn't seem to be what it is elsewhere.  It's very disappointing that the bank -- the bank!! -- sent our documents in the clear.

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@kkcwalton I am VERY surprised that the bank is not better equipped to make secure exchange.  Maybe its because you are not a EU citizen because the GDPR (privacy regulations) is one of the more stringent regulation.  I believe the California Privacy Act introduced in 2020 is somewhat based on that.  Anyway if it were me and I had a choice I would look for doing business with another bank.  Disclaimer: I am a cybersecurity advisor for a bank so I may be more paranoid than most people. 🙂

Premium Member
(@blaze451)

You could ask them to encrypt the files with a password and send/tell you the password separately. 7-Zip is a free windows zip app with password facility.You used to be able to do it in Windows but the later versions no longer have the option.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@blaze451yeah winzip would be good enough I suppose but it is a bit more cumbersome for the non initiated.

Premium Member
(@ericj)
Estimable Member

When I opened my Bank Account through Millennium, I used SendSafely and it worked great.

https://www.sendsafely.com/email-security/

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online