Portugal Weather , swimming year round – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Portugal Weather , swimming year round

Community Member
Topic starter
(@800)

Portugal Weather
Although we always associate the country with serene landscapes and sunny beaches, the truth is that the winters can be teeth-cluttering cold. Especially northern Portugal can be very damp and wet in winters. This can be a problem for digital nomads who belong to countries with a few winter months. 

just read this cold issue:(

any swimming fans here ,  if the winters are really crazy cold.

does it mean only 2 options:

1. stay at south coast ,

2. find a condo which has indoor swimming pool ?

regards south coast ,  from the weather year round report , it's still 10' degree more in Celsius , ok to swim at outside or in the sea ?

thanks.

Topic Tags
5 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

I have friends in Alcobaça who have an unheated outdoor pool and swim most of the year (probably 2 months they don't). They do have a pool cover which retains the heat a little and they are quite hardy folk!

Most towns have an indoor municipal pool though which are usually heated, so unless you're specifically interested in swimming outdoors there are lots of options.

(@thomasribatejo)

My personal view is that cold/damp comments like this often refer to being indoors (with inadequately insulated, ventilated or heated properties), and/or at night, and/or in mountain areas, and/or in the 2-3 weeks of bitter cold which happen in some other areas, some years.  I say this as someone who still occasionally wraps a blanket around my shoulders when working inside at my desk in April, so I am not saying people are wrong per se!

During the day, most of the year including the winter, in most of the country, it's not "teeth-clutteringly cold" outdoors.

Sea temperatures typically vary by only a few degrees along the whole coastline, as it is all the Atlantic.  So, staying in the Algarve may not make much difference compared with, say, the Silver Coast, for sea temperatures.

IPMA, the Portuguese Met Office, has a useful website:
https://www.ipma.pt/pt/maritima/sst/
It doesn't easily show historical temperatures, for the sea, although the Notícias section has monthly reports on air temperatures, rain, etc.

Indoor pools for apartment buildings are not common - they exist, but are likely to be extravagantly expensive...

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

2 Replies
 Zoom
(@zoom)

@thomasandmatthew I found this site quite comprehensive - it even includes average water temp on a monthly basis - https://weatherspark.com/y/32031/Average-Weather-in-Cascais-Portugal-Year-Round (link is for Cascais but you can check most cities in the world) - one useful item is their summary comparison to other cities "City X, Y, and Z are comparable in weather" - if you know at least one of them, it gives you a quick sense of the overall climate.

(@thomasribatejo)

@zoom Wow, that's great, I hadn't come across it! Very useful!

Community Member
Topic starter
(@800)

Thanks a lot for all of you guys' feedback.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/32190~32175~32771~32168/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Albufeira-Lagos-Olh%C3%A3o-and-Quarteira

I have a try on @zoom mentioned website. 

Looks like Albufeira and Quarteira had warmer time .

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online