Prescription drug availability – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Prescription drug availability

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

Hi folks,

I take 2 pills everyday and need to know if I'll be able to get them in Portugal. If I'll have trouble, I need to bring a stockpile of them with me when we go in April. Any suggestions on how to get in touch with a chemist/pharmacist or other professional who can advise me?

18 Replies

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hello @jordan_zimmerman

This will depend on whether you can buy the pills over the counter or you need a prescription from a GP. 

Assuming it's the latter, I recommend you bring a small supply to give you time to register with a GP when you get here. Thereafter, you should have no problem getting the pills you need in Portugal.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@gerry One of them, Valdoxan, is unique. The other I'm sure I can get. Does anyone know a chemist I can confirm with?

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

I am sure other members can contribute but meanwhile, here's one suggestion Jordan:

https://www.afarmaciaonline.pt/valdoxan-25-mg-x-28-comp-revest.html

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@gerry that's fantastic. So, that tells me I can get it in PT. Wonderful.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

Wow - it's 1/2 the price that it is here in Panama. Nice.

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Glad I could help 😊 

Good luck with the move in April.

Anonymous

Jordan, Prescription medications are a tiny fraction of the cost here that they are in the US. I take 15 medications every day and an injection action once a week for my rheumatoid arthritis. In the US, the injection alone was $4,000 a month and the others were nearly $600 per month. Over here I pay less than   100 euros a month and that includes the injection. Now over-the-counter drugs are a different story. They are very expensive here compared to what we pay in the US. In the US you can get a huge bottle of Tylenol, 500mg/ tablet, either 500 or 1000 tablets for $4-5 dollars depending on the store. Over here it comes in a blister pack, about 24 tablets will cost 20 euros. Plain, coated baby aspirin is the same, very expensive. I am lactose intolerant so I take lactalose if I eat or drink anything with milk in it. Lactasose enzyme here is about 20 times the cost of a bottle of generic in the US. I suspect the disparity is because there are govt. price controls on prescription drugs here. 

@peggyL

5 Replies
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Estimable Member

@peggyl So are OTC meds cheaper over the border in Spain or is best to stock up with long expiration date drugs from the US?

Anonymous

@bert

Not positive about Spain bc I have not been there for several years and I always travel with OTC meds. Hubby says best to bring a supply 2 x what you think you will need until you visit the US again or until you have someone come visit you. You need a dear friend like I have who is going to bring me Charmin extra soft and win a place in my heart forever. 😀 😍 😎 

peggy

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Estimable Member

@peggyl ha ha thanks

Premium Member
(@vianina)

Eminent Member

@peggyl, generic paracetamol/acetaminophen, ie generic Tylenol, costs just 1.25 euros for a blister pack of 24 tablets from Portuguese online pharmacies. With a bit of searching you might find the other items too.

Anonymous

@vianina

thanks. I didn't realize there were Pt. on-line pharmacies

@peggyL

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online