Prescription drug availability – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Prescription drug availability

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

Hi folks,

I take 2 pills everyday and need to know if I'll be able to get them in Portugal. If I'll have trouble, I need to bring a stockpile of them with me when we go in April. Any suggestions on how to get in touch with a chemist/pharmacist or other professional who can advise me?

18 Replies

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hello @jordan_zimmerman

This will depend on whether you can buy the pills over the counter or you need a prescription from a GP. 

Assuming it's the latter, I recommend you bring a small supply to give you time to register with a GP when you get here. Thereafter, you should have no problem getting the pills you need in Portugal.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@gerry One of them, Valdoxan, is unique. The other I'm sure I can get. Does anyone know a chemist I can confirm with?

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

I am sure other members can contribute but meanwhile, here's one suggestion Jordan:

https://www.afarmaciaonline.pt/valdoxan-25-mg-x-28-comp-revest.html

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@gerry that's fantastic. So, that tells me I can get it in PT. Wonderful.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

Wow - it's 1/2 the price that it is here in Panama. Nice.

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Glad I could help 😊 

Good luck with the move in April.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

Jordan, Prescription medications are a tiny fraction of the cost here that they are in the US. I take 15 medications every day and an injection action once a week for my rheumatoid arthritis. In the US, the injection alone was $4,000 a month and the others were nearly $600 per month. Over here I pay less than   100 euros a month and that includes the injection. Now over-the-counter drugs are a different story. They are very expensive here compared to what we pay in the US. In the US you can get a huge bottle of Tylenol, 500mg/ tablet, either 500 or 1000 tablets for $4-5 dollars depending on the store. Over here it comes in a blister pack, about 24 tablets will cost 20 euros. Plain, coated baby aspirin is the same, very expensive. I am lactose intolerant so I take lactalose if I eat or drink anything with milk in it. Lactasose enzyme here is about 20 times the cost of a bottle of generic in the US. I suspect the disparity is because there are govt. price controls on prescription drugs here. 

@peggyL

5 Replies
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Estimable Member

@peggyl So are OTC meds cheaper over the border in Spain or is best to stock up with long expiration date drugs from the US?

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@bert

Not positive about Spain bc I have not been there for several years and I always travel with OTC meds. Hubby says best to bring a supply 2 x what you think you will need until you visit the US again or until you have someone come visit you. You need a dear friend like I have who is going to bring me Charmin extra soft and win a place in my heart forever. 😀 😍 😎 

peggy

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Estimable Member

@peggyl ha ha thanks

Premium Member
(@vianina)

@peggyl, generic paracetamol/acetaminophen, ie generic Tylenol, costs just 1.25 euros for a blister pack of 24 tablets from Portuguese online pharmacies. With a bit of searching you might find the other items too.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@vianina

thanks. I didn't realize there were Pt. on-line pharmacies

@peggyL

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online