Question about transferring residency – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Question about tran...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

Question about transferring residency  

RSS

(@wayneb)
Active Member Premium Member
08/07/2020 4:34 pm  

Hi

we decided to move over to Portugal in October of last year, we arranged to live with friends until the plans for our house were approved and the build was completed. We went to the local office and got our certificate of residency (even though we still needed to complete arrangements in the UK, so were back and forth until the COVID-19 struck).

We now want to move over permanently and bring the car and to do that we need the statutory declaration from the embassy. They will only give the appointment once we have transferred which I believe will be this July.

So for the purposes of matriculating the car, will the 12 months start from when we transfer or from when the residency certificate was issued (Oct 2019)??

Also, does anyone know of someone who could help with the process at the customs office and completing the DAV?

Many thanks, hoping someone can help!

Wayne

(@gerry)
Estimable Member Admin
09/07/2020 10:29 am  

Hello @wayneb

It might be worthwhile for you to speak with IOM (International Organisation for Migration). They have just set up a new operation in Lisbon to assist UK citizens moving here and are sponsored by the UK Government.

If you like, I can give you an email introduction???

Regards

Gerry

ReplyQuote
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member VIP Member
09/07/2020 1:16 pm  

@wayneb, did you complete other formalities such as changing your address recorded at Finanças to a Portuguese address and applying for NHR etc?

ReplyQuote
(@wayneb)
09/07/2020 7:45 pm  

@gerry that would be useful thanks Gerry.

ReplyQuote
(@wayneb)
09/07/2020 7:47 pm  

@richardhenshall we have our residency certificate with our Portuguese address. Just got to switch the address on the NIF to the same. It still has our UK address on there, but we are not transferring over fully until the 15th.

ReplyQuote
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member VIP Member
09/07/2020 8:24 pm  

@wayneb, the change of address for your NIF has to be done in person using your residency certificate.  Don't hold me to it but I think your car import should be fine as the customs are part of the tax authority and the date they will see for your residency will usually be the date you change your address even though it theoretically could/should be much earlier.

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Estimable Member Admin
10/07/2020 10:48 am  

Hi @wayneb

Just sent you an introduction email to IOM.

Regards

Gerry

wayneski liked
ReplyQuote

Blevins Franks Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
      • Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online