Quick question about Costco in Seville, ES – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

[Solved] Quick question about Costco in Seville, ES

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@bdgfn)
Trusted Member

This is for those who have been to the Costco in Seville. Does this Costco sell bed linens in US sizes or only in European sizes? I expect the answer to be European only, since that is where the store is located, but curious nonetheless. We have a European king size bed we bought at IKEA here in Germany, as well as a really nice American king size bed we bought through the US military PX. We expect we will take the IKEA bed to Portugal with us since we probably won't be able to get US size bed linens there, but just wanted to check. Thanks in advance!

7 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Some indirectly useful (I hope!) answers.

1 - Costco in the UK had a mixture, as they sourced (in most categories) through US brands, their own Kirkland brand, and locally.  Like you, I would presume they mostly carry local sizes...

2 - ...but bed sizes are not standardised in Europe - even IKEA, which used to try to force Scandinavian sizes on its customers, has bent to local preferences to a large degree.  Bed sizes vary between Spain and Portugal, too (standard double in PT is 190x140, whereas in Spain it's 190x150 - and in Germany, it's 200x140!)  My point being, bring the best bed for you, and go from there!  We brought a UK superking 200x180, as it's almost impossible to find those here...

(As an anecdote, we've "inherited" beds here (as it's typical for older "inheritance sale" properties to come goodness knows what in them!) and none of them has been quite standard.)

3 ...and finally, you can get mattresses and bedding easily made to size in Portugal, if what you have is not standard!  Online, this (www.lusatextil.pt/pt/)is an example (I have not used them, but bookmarked them because of a recommendation at some point from someone), but it's one of many, and local (non-chain) bed, linen or mattress stores will be able to direct you somehere.  Or, a retrosaria will adjust your favourites, for a few euros - they're everywhere!

Oh - and also, why not consider IKEA itself if you go with the IKEA bed; or order online from Germany would also be an option, if you feel uncomfortable getting things sorted bespoke initially!

If you DO go to Costco in Seville (or if anyone else has been), I'd love some feedback as to how good they are, compared to US/UK.  I prefer small, local shopping, but there's one or two things I found them amazing for in the UK.

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Trusted Member

@thomasribatejo Thank you, I did not realize that even IKEA sizes would vary from country to country! Very much appreciated!

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@bdgfn no worries. You may find a choice in some IKEAs too - and quirks like sofabeds for which they have no bedding (this may not currently be true - it was in 2018, we learned the hard way)

Pillow shapes and sizes also vary, by the way - whatever you have as mattress, pillows and duvets, keep the centimetre measurements on your phone for when you come across some lovely linens 🙂

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@bdgfn. A silly question, perhaps, but can you not stock up on appropriately sized linens at the PX before you move?  Or request that visitors you receive from the US bring some for you?   A shame to otherwise discard what you describe as a really nice bed.  I'm currently in the opposite situation -in the US with metric sized beds.  Visiting EU friends are always willing to help me out.

Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Trusted Member

@jeanne Hi jeannemarie. That isn't a silly question at all. Yes, we could stock up before we move, for sure. And, as a veteran, I am authorized to shop at aafes.com (the PX website). As for visitors from the US, that might be a possibility, as well. Thanks for the idea.

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)
Honorable Member

I was there a few years back on a mission for a mate in Lagos.

It is a full outlet.

Their current catalogues can be found here:

IKEA have outlets in Loulé and Sevilla.

Don't forget El Corte Ingles who have full deparment stores in Sevilla, Huelva and Lisbon.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Trusted Member

@barlaventoexpert Thanks, I'll check it out.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online