Registering to Vote in Portugal – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Registering to Vote in Portugal

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Hi,

We would like to register to vote here in Portugal. If I understand things we are entitled to vote in Local (Câmara and Freguesia) elections and in EU elections, but not for the national government or president.

The site https://www.recenseamento.mai.gov.pt/ allows you to check your voting registration status but it requires a Cartão de Cidadão or Bilhete de Identificação, which clearly I don't have.

I've looked on https://www.portaldoeleitor.pt/Paginas/ ... seado.aspx and it indicates that if you are an EU citizen with legal residence in Portugal you should identify yourself with proof of legal residence, such as "Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União" or "Certificado de Residência Permanente de Cidadão da União" - what exactly are those? And does this imply you can just turn up at a voting station on the day of election with the correct ID/proof?

I have asked at our Freguesia, who said "Try the Câmara"; I asked at the Cãmara and, you guessed it, they said "Try the Freguesia".

Has anyone voted in Portugal? How does the system work?

Thanks,

Steve

13 Replies

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

The Câmera issues the 5 year temporary residence certificate. They will ask for proof of residence. Utility bills will help. and you may also need a letter from the Junta.

I took some UK friends to our Câmera to complete this process 2 weeks ago.

Once you have that the Junta can put you on the register of voters. This must be done 6 months before the next election.

When the 5 years is up you got to SEF for a permanent certificate.

Ask your Câmera if they have a CLAIM office. This is an office which helps foreigners.

Alan

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Alan, thanks for your reply.

We got residency all sorted soon after getting here - no problems. It's the electoral register bit that seems to be confusing people.

I'll go back and try again at the Junta.

Cheers,

Steve

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Just thought I would give an update.

We now are registered to vote in Portugal - for EU and local council elections, not for the Assembly. When I took printouts from the various links I gave above back to the Freguesia, the staff there (after ringing Lisbon to find out how to do it) finally managed to get it sorted. They needed our Residency certificates, and then our parents names (no idea why these would be of any use - they never lived in Portugal, and three of them are no longer around in any case), but everything got sorted in the end.

As for voting in the UK - we have registered for postal votes, so if there is (perish the thought) a second referendum or even a general election we'll be able to vote (for the next 14 years, at least).

Steve

VIP Member
(@mac-mabel)
Estimable Member

Good info - thanks Steve.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online