Resident Permit – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

spartan Fx

Resident Permit

10 Posts
6 Users
5 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@panner)

Hi, 

We are in the process of purchasing a property in the Lagos area. We will be relocating permanently to Portugal, my wife has an ROI passport with I as her family member.

My question relates to applying for a permanent resident card. Everything I have read refers to application in the fourth month (after three months) of presence in Portugal. As it is intended that we wish to remain for the foreseeable future on our arrival, can we apply sooner? Or is this three months required?

thanks in advance

geoff

9 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

It's open to interpretation. The EU citizen effects the registration at the relevant Câmara Municipal, which may or may not issue a certificate within the first 3 months. The only way to find out what your local authority does is to go in and say you want to register.

That certificate is required in order for the non EU citizen to apply at the SEF for the residence card for a 3rd country national who is a family member of an EU citizen.

3 Replies
Community Member
(@panner)

@x-camone 

Thanks for your reply.

So assume the Camara asks for the date of arrival at the application as no other way of knowing! We'll try that, as to wait in our case unnecessarily delays joining of the Heath system.

We'll have Health Insurance cover also so this is not urgent, just couldn't understand why three months would be a mandatory waiting period.

Geoff 

Premium Club Member
(@lowellmk)

@panner 

We didn't have to wait 90 days.  At day 91, you must leave the country without a visa or residency permit.  That's how I interpreted the restriction.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

@lowellmk The law in this scenario is that after the 90 days during which no formalities are obligatory have expired, you have 30 days during which to apply for a residence document formalising the exercising of your rights.

Failure to comply is sanctionable (only) with a fine.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Posted by: @panner

just couldn't understand why three months would be a mandatory waiting period.

EU law prohibits member states from applying any formalities to EU citizens until they've been in that MS for 90 days.

Some camaras interpret this as they can't register you until the 90 days are up. They can, because they aren't making you comply with any formalities, you're registering voluntarily.

Zoom
Premium Plus member
(@zoom)

My wife (EU citizen) went through the residency process at the local camara about 5 weeks after we got here, and they issued the necessary papers without any question about arrival dates.

Premium Club Member
(@lowellmk)

Hi -

I completed the process a few months ago and, for an EU passport holder, it was pretty painless and required two steps. Note my wife and I obtained residency in Madeira and your experience will probably be slightly different than mine.

1) I went to the city hall and provided some information.... one key document was a lease or proof that I was living in the parish (you have to apply in the parish you are residing).  That, along with passport and other documents. We over prepared and brought along proof of health insurance, FBI background checks, etc.  After successfully completing this step and paying 15 Euros, you will receive a document basically indicating that you have proven that you are living in the Parish.

2) Then, we went to another office, across the square, and provided much of the same information plus the official document that confirmed our residency. After working with a nice staff member who helped us with the form, we waited 2 weeks for an email indicating approval of our residency permit.  We returned to city hall, We paid another 15 Euros (i believe) and walked away, delighted, to have our residency papers in hand. 

I'm not sure what others received, but we received a paper document, not a residency "card" that would fit our wallets.

Hope that helps.... 

2 Replies
Premium Club Member
(@lowellmk)

Oh, I forgot to mention, we did not wait 90 days to apply.  Having toiled over the 90 requirement and reflecting on my experience, here is my interpretation:

1. You cannot legally reside in country beyond 90 days without a visa or residency permit

2. So, the translation is that you should wait until 90 days has passed.  But we were not turned away at about 30 days.  I think its safe to assume that you may have missed a document and may have to scramble to complete the process...

I'll follow the comments to see what others experienced.

Community Member
(@ianmcshane)

@lowellmk I had pretty much the same experience.  I moved from the UK to Portugal but I am an EU citizen through my Irish citizenship.  I got my first CRUE in Almada, then when I moved to Palmela I had to get a new one because my address had changed.

I only got my residency certificate in Palmela as I knew I was going to move from Almada, just did not know where.

The only documents I needed for my CRUE in Almada was a lease, my Irish passport and they wanted to see three months pay slips. I had to nip to the local print shop to get them printed.  No medical insurance or criminal checks reports etc. It took about a week to arrive in the post.

The CRUE in Palmela I needed a residence certificate, passport, lease and €15... I is possible they did not worry about extra checks as I did present my CRUE from Almada.  They handed it to me there and then... no posting or waiting.

The residence certificate I needed my passport, my lease and €5. Again, it might have been easier due to having my Almada CRUE which I did present.  They handed it to me there and then... no posting or waiting.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners