Schengen post Brexit – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Ei! Migration Banner

Schengen post Brexit  

Page 1 / 3

ian
VIP Member
(@ian)
Estimable Member

So after Brexit UK citizens will be limited to 90 days per 180 day period in the Schengen area.

As Portuguese residents we have been told that our residency and all the benefits that go with that are protected forever.

So what happens when we travel outside Portugal does the residency allow free and unrestricted movement (I am only talking about travel, it has clearly been stated we would not for instance work or study) or would we have to return to Portugal, or UK to stay within this restriction.

What happens for instance if I have stayed in Portugal for a year and fly to Germany for a holiday? when they check my passport it would show no exit from the Schengen area for over a year, well outside my allowance. Would my residency be recognized or not.

Very confused

14 Replies

VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

Ian wrote:
> What happens for instance if I have stayed in Portugal for a year and fly
> to Germany for a holiday? when they check my passport it would show no exit
> from the Schengen area for over a year, well outside my allowance.

Germany & Portugal are both within the Schengen area, so there wouldn't normally be any passport control.

ian
VIP Member
(@ian)
Estimable Member

Thanks Richard
Perhaps a bad example, but my point is that at some time I may get stopped and have my passport checked, it will show that I have not left the Schengen area for a year or more which I haven't, so how do I prove or not that i have only stayed in Portugal as is my right?

VIP Member
(@tartntiny)
Trusted Member

After I had lived here a few years I went back to Canada for a visit. I travelled with my Canadian passport (it had been renewed here at the embassy so no travel stamps) and went through the long line at the Lisbon airport both ways. On the way back, the customs guy asked more questions than the outgoing agent and long story short I was supposed to show my passport and my residence card when I had left Lisbon. At that time it was a temporary residence card but temporary or permanent it doesn't matter. So, I think it should be the same for you after Brexit.

VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm states that "Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket".

Page 1 / 3

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €250+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online