SOS - Can I Rent Somewhere & Get Residence Cert. Before 31/12/20? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Ei! Migration Banner

SOS - Can I Rent Somewhere & Get Residence Cert. Before 31/12/20?  

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
(@woodbine)

Hello to all. I have lurked here for a while, and have taken the plunge. I realise I have poss left this too late, but is there any way I can rent a small flat/house/anything in any part of Portugal so I can get residence before the end of the Brexit transition? Obviously I need the rental contract to get residency.

I emailed a number of estate agents in Portugal, but none replied. I'm still in UK, but ready to travel any time.

Have I missed the opportunity to get residence before the transition period ends? Is there any way I can rent somewhere straight away to get the paperwork I need for the CRUE, etc. I realise this is a long shot.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Yours - desperate not to be left behing in rainy Blighty after Brexit. Woodbine

10 Replies

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

Why??

You can become a resident of Portugal after Brexit.

Yes you will need proof of health insurance, but only for the period between arriving and getting your temp 5 year residencia. After that as a Portuguese resident you fall into the welcoming arms of the Portuguese NHS, just like the UK.

It may involve a little more paperwork, and proof that you have the means to support yourself. But I think everything else that is needed is needed to register before end of December.....

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@somanyquestions

A UK citizen won't get a 5 year residency certificate after 31/12/20, those are only for EU citizens.

Similarly non EU citizens have to have medical insurance to cover the period between their arrival and SEF issuing them their initial 2 year residence permit (if their application is approved).

Community Member
(@woodbine)

@somanyquestions       Thanks for your reply. What type of visa would I need after Brexit?

For several reasons it may be easier to register before transition period ends. Main one is that I have a small income, but large savings. Wondered if they only take income into account - if so, this may not work for me.

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

hi Old bloke

I think you can get a Visa to stay and that visa can be extended and new ones issued. Yes its more of a faff than before Brexit, but not the end of the world.

And it might be that Portugal and the UK agree to make it easier if and after a Brexit agreement is agreed with the EU ??

I realise the French may have replaced the Brits in buying property in Portugal but I suspect that is only due to the uncertainty over the Brexit `negotiation` fiasco. 

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@somanyquestions

Some visas can be extended but not all. The longest visa extension that will be available is a short stay visa (a Schengen visa) that can be extended for a further 90 days, but it cannot be renewed after that extension.

But any extension will not entitle someone to a 5 year residency certificate as you suggested.

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

Old bloke

I bow to your superior knowledge on this topic.

I assume this is still correct (source expatica)

Non-EU citizens

Portuguese immigration policy also includes several international agreements with non-EU countries, for example, the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, which allows such nationals to enter and stay in Portugal for 90 days within a six-month period (180 days) without needing any visa for Portugal. A list of countries that require a Portuguese visa to enter Portugal can be found here.

Non-EU/EFTA nationals who wish to stay longer than three months, however, will need to apply for a long-term visa or Portuguese residency visa before arriving, which allows them to apply for a Portuguese residence permit after arrival. Those who fit into this category include those who work, the self-employed, students, those intending to live off savings, retired people, and family members.

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@somanyquestions

Yes, and the UK and EU have currently confirmed that the UK will be added to the list of visa waiver countries in your first paragraph.

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

Given that is the case with Brits after end December 2020, what exactly would a Brit need to extend to be able to remain in Portugal (no other countries of the EU) after that date?

Would it mean that we simply cannot, or would Brits have to use some other mechansim to stay longer in one stretch ie 5 or 6 months (max).

For example visit the SEF with the proof they need of health insurance and sufficient means of support and a place to stay? 

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@somanyquestions

You would need to apply to SEF for a visa extension (even though you wouldn't physically have a visa under the visa waiver system) and would need to prove you have everything listed in your last paragraph.

I don't know if "I want a longer holiday" is one of the approved reasons for granting a visa extension, you would have to ask SEF.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online