tree/land clearing – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

tree/land clearing  

Page 1 / 5

ian
VIP Member
(@ian)
Estimable Member

I need to know the law regarding tree cutting.

Our neighboring land has several huge trees that are very close to our house. as we live in a rural (forested area) area and therefore at risk from forest fires, I wondered if they need to be cut (he has strimmed the land beneath them, but the trees remain)and who has responsibility for costs etc

22 Replies

VIP Member
(@mrbife)
Honorable Member

If the area underneath has been strimmed then they could well be Alfaroba (Carob) trees. The ground around gets cleared so they can pick up the alfarobas more easily.

These are protected trees and in theory they cannot be cut down.

VIP Member
(@the-arborist)
Honorable Member

Hi there Ian.

Feel free to get in touch for some free advice on this subject.

take care

VIP Member
(@the-arborist)
Honorable Member

If the area underneath has been strimmed then they could well be Alfaroba (Carob) trees. The ground around gets cleared so they can pick up the alfarobas more easily.

These are protected trees and in theory they cannot be cut down.

this is NOT correct ....any large tree in a fire risk area that is within the required fire break , can and must be cut down , REGARDLESS of the species. even if it a protected species.

the required fire break ( by Law Decreto-Lei No 15/2006 ) is a strimmed 50m radius around house, and trees are only to be 4m max in height. and must be 4m apart and 5m from edifice of building...
the road leading up to any property must also be strimmed to a distance of 10m. ( 5m each side ).

VIP Member
(@jill_1580291577)
Reputable Member

Thank you Arborist for that useful information. What you have stated is the law, but in your experience, does a firebreak of 50m radius actally work (i.e. protect the house?) I have my own trees witihin that range, very old & large, which I REALLY don't want to cut down. If I totally cleared the land of grass, rather than just strim it, would that help, or do I really have to cut down the trees? Thank you.

P.S. the sick trees are getting worse, a recomendation of a tree doctor in my area would be very much appreciated.

Page 1 / 5

Blevins Franks

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €250+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online