UK Citizen Moving After Brexit - How Much Income/Savings Needed? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Premium Member benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Ei! Migration Banner

UK Citizen Moving After Brexit - How Much Income/Savings Needed?  

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbine)

This is more of a hypothetical question. After Brexit, if a UK citizen wanted to be resident in Portugal, would they apply for a type 1 visa? If they applied for a visa how much income and/or savings would the Portugese immigration authorities be  expecting a single British citizen to have?

Also, after Brexit are the Portugese authorities likely to make any different visa/immigration arrangements for British citizens?

Thanks for any help and advice.

7 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

For a retirement visas I think the figures per annum are €7260 for a single applicant.

Non-one knows if they will offer more favourable terms to Brits in the future, and if they did they would expect the UK to reciprocate, personally I can't see it happening as the current rules aren't too difficult to meet.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbine)

Thanks , old-bloke. Doesn't sound too onerous. If I move next year, it will be several years before I'll receive a pension. I read somewhere on here about a type 1 pension where you can meet the income requirements by using savings. Do you or anyone else know how much you would need to have in savings?

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

hi Old bloke

What is a retirement visa?

Thats for Brit not wanting to take residency before end of 2020 but say in Oct 2021.......

VIP Member
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

seen this online:

Proof of financial means. This, unfortunately, seems to be a moving target. The stated rule is that you must have proof of having access to 40 euros per day plus 75 euros per entry. That proof can be in the form of bank statements from the previous three months, a company pension certificate, a Social Security Benefit letter, or tax returns.

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@somanyquestions

A retirement visa is the visa for non EU citizens (Brits after 31/12/20) who aren't going to work or start a business in Portugal.

The figures you quote are (from memory) those used to determine the sufficient means criteria of a Schengen visa.

A retirement visa requires an income of €7260 per year for a sole applicant (plus 50% for a spouse/partner, plus another 30% for each dependent).

Page 1 / 2

FWM Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online