VFS New York – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

VFS New York

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@dolce)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone,

I applied for my VISA in New York about a month ago and I've already booked my flight for the end of June, shipping my things in a container in June, etc.. and I was wondering if anyone has recently received their VISA from NY and how long it took?  I am trying to arrange everything based on the assumption that I will get my VISA within 8-10 weeks.  Am I too ambitious?? 

9 Replies

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

Hi Dolce! The 8–10 week expectation is inline with most applications. We used the SF VFS and it took 8 weeks.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@dolce)
Eminent Member

Hope that is the same for New York!  Thank you.

6 Replies
Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Estimable Member

@dolce Did you make it?? Inquiring Expats wanna know.

Premium Member
(@dolce)

Eminent Member

@misticjeff 

No, had to change my flight and postpone the movers.  VFS global is the worst service organization I've ever dealt with.  Received an approval email from the consulate 3 weeks ago and heard nothing from VFS.  I've written several emails and made several phone calls and received useless responses which provided absolutely no help.  I've also written to the Consulate several times and received no response.  I've finally enlisted the help of Ei and will be speaking with them soon.  I'm moving next week with or without my VISA in hand as I've sold my place and need to move out!  My apartment in Lisbon is waiting for me...

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@dolce Sorry to hear about your situation. Ei! will save the day. Based on our experience in SF, VFS is out of the picture after your appointment and their submission of your application to the consulate. The consulate approval email should either tell you your passport with the visa is on the way or asking you to send your passport to them at the address in the signature line. That would be the consulate address. Since you still have your passport I suppose the approval email would have asked you to send it to them? Did you pay for the FedEx return label at VFS? Sending in your passport and getting it back with the visa should take no longer than a week. Ours were actually turned around the same day they received them.

We are in Lisbon so if you need anything let us know.

Premium Member
(@dolce)

Eminent Member

@jonesdn2020 

Thank you.  It said to surrender the passport but that is not what VFS told me to do when I had the interview.  I thought they were going to fedex the visa to me since I prepaid for fedex.  You're saying I have to send the passport to the consulate?  When I called VFS, they said they're going to send it via fedex and email the tracking number.  This is very confusing to me.  Hopefully EI can clear things up for me before my flight next week.  Fingers crossed!  

Thanks so much for the offer.  I'm sure I will have a million questions once I arrive!

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @dolce

@jonesdn2020 

Thank you.  It said to surrender the passport but that is not what VFS told me to do when I had the interview.  I thought they were going to fedex the visa to me since I prepaid for fedex.  You're saying I have to send the passport to the consulate?  When I called VFS, they said they're going to send it via fedex and email the tracking number.  This is very confusing to me.  Hopefully EI can clear things up for me before my flight next week.  Fingers crossed!  

Thanks so much for the offer.  I'm sure I will have a million questions once I arrive!

@jonesdn2020

If you still have your passport, yes, you will need to FedEx them the passport, they will affix the Visa inside the passport and FedEx back to you. In the email you received saying the Visa was approved, it should tell you where you need to send your Passport.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@dolce The Visa is a sticker that is glued/inserted in the person's passport, it's individual, so you have to send/deliver your passport.

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

In an Expats Portugal show from last Thursday, Cristina from Ei! stated SF is now 12 weeks. She did not mention anything about other Consulates.

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online