Woo hoo! We have our Visas! – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Woo hoo! We have our Visas!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

One of the benefits of being able to do everything from a small country, Panama... today we received our D7 Visas almost 1 month to the day after applying. So, we will arrive in Lisbon on March 29. 

Question: Our SEF appointment shows as July 23 but the D7 Visa expires on July 26. Should we be concerned? What happens if there is a delay?

25 Replies

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

LOL - the 07/23 is the date of the immigration law it turns out 😀 Our actual date is the end of May - whew. We're OK.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@charw23)

Trusted Member

@jordan_zimmerman

Olá Jordan, 

Can you elaborate on the immigration law and 7/23 date? I'm curious as to what you are referencing might be changing. 

Thanks in advance. 

Char

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@charw23 I don't have details. It's what my lawyer said: "The date 23/07 is the date of the Portuguese Immigration Law."

It's in reference to this bit on the D7 Visa.

Premium Member
(@charw23)

Trusted Member

@jordan_zimmerman

Thanks  I'll dig into it! Appreciate the screenshot.

Char

JAR
Premium Member
(@jar)
Trusted Member

Congrats Jordan!

We are a bit behind you having met w/VFS in SF 3 weeks ago. What part of PT are you headed to?

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@jar Initially Lisbon. We are likely to settle in either Sintra or Setubal unless we find a different area once we go.

Anonymous

Hope that you will tune in Thursday at 7:30pm Lisbon time for the first battle of the "Best Place to live in Portugal." We will have fun and lots of information on the first 2 regions. I will do the Algarve and a mystery person is doing Lisbon and central Portugal. Hope to "see" you in the video chat!

@peggyL

6 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@peggyl we'll try to!

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@peggyl we watched and loved it 😀 Of course, we won't know for sure until we get there in April but we'll have a look around, though my heart is pretty set on being close to Lisbon (Setubal or Sintra probably).

Anonymous

@jordan_zimmerman

You must ghostwrited with your heart but hope you will have time for a visit, we can show you around a little and Social cal distance for lunch at our houser.

Everyone can sit on a different side of the pool 😎 

@peggy 🤣 

Anonymous

supposed to say "You must go with your heart"                                         gosh darn auto correct 🤣 

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@peggyl

We watched and voted for you and the Algarve not sure who tallied the votes I think there was some monkey business going on you clearly were the victor !

The Gibson’s 

Anonymous

@jgibson

muito obrigada, I don't think the voting thing was explained very well. I knew it was coming and still it seemed like it was too quickly thrown out there without explanation for direction. Oh well, It was fun and informative I hope for everyone. The Algarve it not just beaches & rude tourists and that is what I wanted to get out there. It is worth a look for those who have still not found their  special place.

Thanks for the good wishes. 😎 

@peggyL

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

We received our residency cards today!!!! Just a little over a week after our SEF interview. We immediately went and got our health utente too. This is the culmination of a year long process. Woo hoo! We couldn't have done it without Expats Portugal. Thank you everyone.

11 Replies
Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Trusted Member
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@jordan_zimmerman Congrats! Health utente - do you mean the SNS number? Ei! has been trying to get ours for weeks. We need it to exchange our drivers licenses.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@maxgravy I'm a bit confused by the acronyms. It's the Health service number - maybe that's SNS?

The address we're using is in Chamusca (near Santerem). There's not much activity there so we were able to walk right into the health service office with a local native speaker and get the registration/number.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@jordan_zimmerman yes, SNS is the Serviço Nacional de Saúde (National Health Service), and the personal reference number is a Número de Utente (user number). Número de Utente is the normal Portuguese term, but on forums, people often gloss this as Health Number etc 

It's good to see that some health centres are back to issuing these on the spot. For many months, the process has been bogged down, and was forced through an email address which people didn't hear back from. Having a small, but not remote, place as your first base has paid off! Great to hear!

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@thomasribatejo We're in Lisbon and have been waiting a long time. Is it possible for us to drive to a small town and get the numbers? 

We need them to exchange our driver licenses. The apostiles attached to our driving abstracts are almost 90 days old and I'm afraid they will expire and we'll need to take driving tests instead of just exchanging. 

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@maxgravy it's possible, but would depend on the discretion of the person at the health centre.  It's supposed to be the health centre(s) which cover your place of residence (eg the one on your documents), so they'd be under no obligation to do it.

Unlike the driving license itself, which is fulfilled by local offices but is a national system, the SNS registration is slightly more linked to the place (in that your paperwork would typically reference the health region in question, and the health centre itself).

You might manage to persuade them that, as you're not living there, you don't need registering with a family doctor, you just need the Número de Utente. However, it's down to the person you get - also, be aware that health centres have their own time slots for doing admin, and it can be impossible to find this out from a distance.

If you want to try, make I'd advise trying within Grande Lisboa, and North of the Tagus, at least initially. But as I say, it would essentially be asking them for a favour - and try to make sure not to take up space on a family doctor waiting list at a health centre you wouldn't be using.

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@thomasribatejo Thank you for the clarification. I think we'll just wait and do as Ei! suggests. They said we would still be able to drive, even after the 90 days.

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy

Is it true? I am looking at IMT website and it says this:

If you take up residence in Portugal, you must take into account the following deadlines, which are effective from the date on which your residence document is issued: 
• Up to 90 days. You can continue to drive on a licence issued by a country mentioned above for up to 90 days from the date of issue of your residence document, but you must apply to IMT for an exchange during this period
• From 90 days up to 2 years. You can no longer drive on a licence issued by a country mentioned above, but you can still apply to IMT for an exchange during this period.

I believe beyond 90 days we will be able to drive only, if we apply with IMT and the exchange is in progress. 

We are planning to go back to the US this fall to pack a container granted we have our drivers licenses exchanged meeting IMT deadlines. 

Have you try to apply without having SNS? Or is it a prerequisite?

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy

ouch! We are in Lisbon as well and might be facing the same backlog as you do. Do you reside in Lisbon and have used Lisbon’ address for SEF? We are in a process of finding a long-term rental for our coming SEF appointment. would you advise to look beyond Lisbon then? 

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@tdn Yes, we are in Lisbon and used our address here for SEF. We're enjoying this fabulous city and plan to stay for at least a year. We signed a one-year lease on a condo. I can't advise as I'm not familiar with your situation. 

According Ei! the SNS is a requirement for the drivers license exchange. You need the SNS number to get the medical review for the license. I've also heard the med review can be done online. 

Also, today I read that all documents concerned with immigration will remain valid until at least December 31, 2021 due to covid.

This is where I read it:

https://www.santaferelo.com/en/mobility-insights/news-and-blog/immigration-update-portugal-extension-of-the-validity-of-documents-and-emergency-state-renewed-until-april-15th/  

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

Here's the text:

"1. A brand new Government decree (nº 22A from March 17th) states that documents expired after February 24th, 2020, are valid until December 31st, 2021, for all legal purposes (the last decree stated validity extension until Mar 31st).

This rule applies to the following documents:

• Citizen Card (PT id)
  • Driving license
  • Certificates
  • Documents and visas related to the stay in national territory*

*As of December 31st, 2021, documents expired after February 24th, 2020 will be valid and as soon as possible, all holders must provide an appointment scheduling at Immigration Service – SEF (still closed until further notice)

2. A renewal of the current emergency state was approved until April 15th. Among rules, remain circulation restrictions, mandatory teleworking (extended until December 31st), and phased opening of commercial establishments, schools, and other activities."

spartan Fx

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online