Working for an UK employer and living in Portugal – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Working for an UK employer and living in Portugal

2 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@isazaza)

Hey everyone, does anyone have experience with working for an UK employer and living in Portugal?

Backstory: I'm Brazilian with an EU citizenship as well. Have been living in the UK for almost 3 years, so I have my pre-settled status valid until early 2026. I started working for my current UK employer around October 2020 as a part time employee and then turned full time January 2022. I work 100% remotely, I live in London and the company is based elsewhere in the UK. 

Anyway, I'm looking into moving to Lisbon (my boyfriend and many friends from back home live there) but I'd really like to keep my job with my current employer! I've brought it up to them and they're open to working something out, but they have no experience with this (it's a somewhat small company, just got to 20 employees and they don't have any presence in the EU).

My main concerns are about legal status and taxation (for both me and the company). I’ve read online that an employee working from outside the UK permanently when the company is only established in the UK might not be considered an employee under UK law. In practical terms would this bring up any issues on a day-to-day basis? Or only if we had legal matters to solve? Would they be liable to pay any Portuguese tax or extra UK due to me living there?

On my side, since Portugal has a double taxation agreement with the UK so as far as I understand I could ask HMRC to issue a No Tax tax code or claim a tax refund later (because I’ll be liable for tax in the EU country). Anyone have experience with this?

Any help appreciated, I'm trying to understand the simplest (and honestly, cheapest for them) way to navigate this to propose the company! 

1 Reply
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for expanding on your first post. I would recommend in addition to the business directory link I sent in the first post that you look through the offers here Member Benefits | Expats Portugal

I don't have any information from the UK business perspective since I am a US citizen. In the US we would normally switch the employee to a contractor in order to simplify the businesses responsibilities.  

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal