"12 Step" Guide to moving to Portugal – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

"12 Step" Guide to moving to Portugal

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@stevecoutinho)

Hi, I'm Steve, a UK citizen living in the US (recently also became a US citizen), and just joined ExpatsPortugal. I got married to a Portuguese citizen, and we decided we want to move back to Portugal. I joined as a Premium member because it said there was a '12 step' guide to moving, but I can't find this guide. 

Has anyone else moved from America to Portugal? The process seems to be very complicated. We live in Allentown PA. Not the biggest town, so we can't find anyone else who has experience with any of this.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you.

Steve

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)
Illustrious Member

Hello Steve and Welcome to the forums. The guide will be emailed to you within 24 hours of you becoming a premium member. 

I assume you know your wife can simply return to Portugal since she is a citizen. You just need a family reunification for yourself being her husband. 

As a premium member you can get 10% off of Ei! immigration services from the business directory who assists in these matters. We used them and are currently in Lisbon.

Best of luck and if you need anything just ask. 

Trevor

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@stevecoutinho)

Thanks, Trevor! We are aware that my spouse, Paulo, can return to Portugal. I guess what we're confused about is the international moving process itself. We have to sell up, and move our stuff (it would be too expensive to buy stuff all over again, I think). But coordinating these two is not as simple as we thought (how flexible are the shippers with dates?). Did you move from England or the US? Did you ship any goods, and if so, were you able to find a company that has experience with the Portuguese system?

Looking forward to receiving the guide soon. Hope it answers some of our questions. 🙂

Steve

1 Reply
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@stevecoutinho We moved from the US and only brought luggage with us. We sold everything in the US. You can find shipping companies in the business directory but the duty paid is dependent on you. So you would need to find out if a Portugal citizen can import goods duty-free. The other option is just to pay the VAT. Hopefully others on the forum have some knowledge in this area. I just did a quick google search and your wife should be able to get the necessary paperwork for duty free when she updates her residency to here in Portugal. She would have the Portugal Consulate issue a baggage certificate, from my understanding, to provide the shipping company.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal