A Subjective View of Portugal – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

A Subjective View of Portugal

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@paulr)
Estimable Member

Negatives of Living in Portugal

Bureaucracy

Doing any thing that involves information from government sectors

can be slow and they do like their paper work.

Getting used to the Pace in PT can be frustrating Things just slow down

General cost of living A lot of people are under the impression that living in PT is cheap. Well it can be ,but if you want brand names and eat anything other than Chicken and Pork things can get expensive.

Health Service As a resident you are entitled to the PT National Health System.

This may be different to your own country.

I have know British residents fly back to the Uk to get treatment.

It is usual that once you have had treatment in hospital you have to leave as soon as possible and it is left to your family to help you recover.

I would always recommend private insurance.

Buying Property

Always use a separate solicitor rather than the one with the estate agent

Not often done in PT, but get a survey done. This could save you thousands of Euros later on and you can use the faults as a bargaining chip.

Make sure all permissions for the building are legal A lot of villas do not have permission for Swimming pools. and cables running across other villas can become a real problem and dispute area.

If you are looking at villas check your neigbour’s . A lot of owners rent their property in summer for large amounts on money. They can get Party people in summer who just create hell.

Big problem in PT barking dogs Portuguese owners seem to be deaf when it comes to their own dog barking especially at night.

Transport Buying cars or any vehicles is very expensive in PT They are the highest in the EU.

Drivers. I think that part of the driving test in PT is to see how near you can get to the car in front [Joking} but it is part of the PT driving culture to get as close as possible.

Summer PT changes In the Algarve thousands of tourist traffic, can be a total nightmare on the N125. plus finding a bit of sand on the beach  can be a problem ,they are so busy.

Please note These above conditions are Pre Cv-19

CV-19 as had a serious effect on the financial and general living in PT. many small business who have been handed down in the family will not survive.

Tourism is the heartbeat of PT  and it will take a long time to recover sadly. 

Like all countries there are good points and disappointments . Remember you are the foreigner , so it is up to you to conform the their  way of life , not the other way round!

I have tried to show some of the problems you may encounter but not all.

Moving your life to a different country should not be taken lightly. Do not be ruled by the Dream of your heart but simple economics.

I love Pt but no country is perfect. I have tried to balance the goods news that people praise PT for ,against some of the pitfalls people do not want to talk about.

I am sure  this will cause some discussion between some Expats in defence of PT but that’s what this forum is for.

17 Replies

Zoom
(@zoom)

Do you ever feel like the Portuguese resent foreigners who can afford to come in from higher income countries and live a more comfortable lifestyle/take advantage of the lower cost of living? I always wonder about that, even when we travel (the "necessary evil" view of tourists)...

Sorry if this is too philosophical a question for this thread...

1 Reply
 Anonymous

@zoom

I think Portugal is like every other place on earth. There are some who can afford more than others everywhere. How you are perceived depends more on how you treat people.  I am not condescending. Everyone who helps me whether gardener, cook, server, or garbage man is important to me. I cannot live my life well without them. I treat them all with a smile, offer a bottle of water or bagged cookies. I try out my limited Portuguese and always ask them to correct my pronunciation. I ask about their family I wish them well. And always say thank-you and smile. 

@peggyL

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@paulr)
Estimable Member

Short answer is no. I honestly think that the Portuguese understand that without tourism PT would have serious problems , The only feedback I have had is that some Portuguese are not happy with Tax situation with NHR when they have to pay full tax. In general the Portuguese are friendly helpful and kind. the other bonus is that most speak English.

From experience  If I found myself in a difficult situation [ very rarely] Just smile never get argumentative especially with the GNR.

Zoom
(@zoom)

Thanks for the frank answer - I must say I would also resent the NHR if the shoe was on the other foot, at least until I understood or was given some proof of the benefit to the local citizens. For example, if non-residents spend X and that produces Y euros for the local govt (in the form of VAT or other taxes).

What does GNR stand for? (still feeling my way around the local lingo)

1 Reply
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

Bureaucracy. Is it common to hire a gestor like in Spain? 

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online