Are we CRAZY to want to move to Portugal in these times? (by car!) - Page 3 – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

Are we CRAZY to want to move to Portugal in these times? (by car!)  

Page 3 / 4

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Eminent Member

Hello, planning to move to Portugal at around 7th October, as finally after 2 years our UK house sold.
Family with a 5.5 and 1.5 year old kids.

Difficulty with finding good rental homes in Algarve.
Cannot fly now to see more houses due to UK now asking for 14 day quarantine on coming back. So it has to be done when we're there and stay in Air BnB flat for a week or two.

So now our move there will be 1 way, as it would be difficult to return if something went wrong at the beginning.
Furniture will follow 1-2 weeks later, with the highly rated Algarve removals.

New ambitious plan:
Flying to Germany, buying a nice almost-new car and driving it back to Britain (with international plates & insurance as good price cars and variety is bad in Portugal), and moving with the car on the day (drive through France & Spain or ferry to Santander with a couple of hotel stops)

Is all this possible now with Corona, are there any restrictions driving though these countries? (I read driving from Germany to UK is fine as long as there are no stops in France)
Is it possible to have a problem coming into Portugal from Spain/France?
Could there be a lockdown in Portugal in October stopping everything (e.g. estate agents)?

Any thoughts? Any experience driving though countries these crazy Corona days?

34 Replies
1 Reply
 Tams
Community Member
(@tams)

Posted by: @itexpert7

Hello, planning to move to Portugal at around 7th October, as finally after 2 years our UK house sold.
Family with a 5.5 and 1.5 year old kids.

Difficulty with finding good rental homes in Algarve.
Cannot fly now to see more houses due to UK now asking for 14 day quarantine on coming back. So it has to be done when we're there and stay in Air BnB flat for a week or two.

So now our move there will be 1 way, as it would be difficult to return if something went wrong at the beginning.
Furniture will follow 1-2 weeks later, with the highly rated Algarve removals.

New ambitious plan:
Flying to Germany, buying a nice almost-new car and driving it back to Britain (with international plates & insurance as good price cars and variety is bad in Portugal), and moving with the car on the day (drive through France & Spain or ferry to Santander with a couple of hotel stops)

Is all this possible now with Corona, are there any restrictions driving though these countries? (I read driving from Germany to UK is fine as long as there are no stops in France)
Is it possible to have a problem coming into Portugal from Spain/France?
Could there be a lockdown in Portugal in October stopping everything (e.g. estate agents)?

Any thoughts? Any experience driving though countries these crazy Corona days?

This type of thing is a conundrum for many of us.  Our thinking was simply to buy a five seater locally here in the UK and drive all the way and then get the car changed around when we got there.

Possibly doing a lot of the driving at night with empty roads (and fuel stations) and having enough tinned food with us so as to avoid personal contact with anyone in hotels etc. Its not the most comfortable solution by any means but it keeps virus risk to a minimum. It would mean trying to find somewhere quiet during the day to get some sleep - but it would also mean that the driving is done when there are colder temperatures and so much easier to keep warm because we are on the move.

A lot of investigation going to be required with this - not least the problems of buying an English car and then having to have it adapted, re-plated for use in Portugal.  I am not sure how feasible it is tbh.

Advice on these matters most welcome 🙂

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Eminent Member

Hi Peter, thank you, but as I stated I'm very happy to pay the import tax, it's only 500-600 euros.
Do you happen to know a Portuguese car import agent to do the paperwork by any chance?

These days the matriculation/import charge is peanuts, as long as one is wise and gets a plug-in hybrid car (even a powerful 9 month old one costs just 600 euros for the ISV!). As plug-in hybrid reduces the ISV by 75% (a quarter), and the CO2 emissions are usually under 50 grams, ending up very cheap for a powerful (200+ bhp) 6 months old car.
Indeed it has to be over 6 months *and* over 6000km.

rmpt
Community Member
(@rmpt)

Hi

I looked at this last year, and ended up buying a hybrid (not plug in) in Portugal. By the time I looked at the ISV, import costs, travel etc it didn't work out any better. I also bought a car with an extended manufacturers warranty, service package and guarantee, I don't know if these are transferable country to country?

The ISV is much less for a plug in hybrid, so I guess that makes a difference?

If you are going to be in/near the Algarve I can recommend Caetano Toyota. They made buying a car pleasant and straightforward, unlike many dealers in the Algarve. 

Not that it will make a massive difference, but when you come to resell a national car (versus an imported car) holds its value better. No idea why.

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi

When you say you want an agent to do the paperwork Oooops not correct.

You need to go the your Consul to swear a declaration that you are now resident in Portugal. Agent can't do this.

You have to take the car/ van for a special test. Agent can't do this.

You need to get a Certificate of Conformity. Agent can't do this.

The only thing the agent does is fill in the forms with the information from The Certificate of Conformity. Yes the agent can do this but so could you. Get your Certificate of Conformity in Portugess and copy the answer from the Matriculation forms from the info on your COE.

The agent takes these forms to the Customs Office. You can do this or let the Agent. The agent will wait till he has a few to save going every day.

I went out one day and went to the Consul and then to the Customs to pick up the forms.

Next day the car was tested and at 2.14pm my car was Matriculated. The lady in Customs could speak English

You will pay an agent to Matriculate a car/ van and you do most of the work.

The link below is to a site where you can download the forms you need to fill in to get your car made legal.

https://beportugal.com/import-a-car-to-portugal/

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Eminent Member

Hi Peter,

Thank you, great to know that it can be done quickly! I was afraid of it taking ages.

> "Yes the agent can do this but so could you. "
But I don't know any Portuguese! Maybe you can be my "agent"! 🙂

I know about Greece, where Agents are needed, as they either know the civil servants personally (so things can be done), or they know how to "grease the wheels" to motivate said "servants" into doing their job!
Is it much better in Portugal?

I keep looking on German car websites, the quality and price of 1 year old cars there is miles ahead of anything in Portugal or Spain. Pity it's 28 hours drive away!!

Kind Regards,
Michael.

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@peterfc)

Famed Member

Hi Peter,

Thank you, great to know that it can be done quickly! I was afraid of it taking ages.

> "Yes the agent can do this but so could you. "
But I don't know any Portuguese! Maybe you can be my "agent"! 🙂

I know about Greece, where Agents are needed, as they either know the civil servants personally (so things can be done), or they know how to "grease the wheels" to motivate said "servants" into doing their job!
Is it much better in Portugal?

I keep looking on German car websites, the quality and price of 1 year old cars there is miles ahead of anything in Portugal or Spain. Pity it's 28 hours drive away!!

Kind Regards,
Michael.

If you do buy a car from another EU country you still have to own it for 6 months and have proof with bills ETC

Greece or any other country don't matter Portugal has there rules and it's there rules you must follow.

I don't speak Portuguess but i got it done in a day.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @peterfc

If you do buy a car from another EU country you still have to own it for 6 months and have proof with bills ETC

That is if you do not want to pay the tax (ISV)!
If you do pay it, you don't need to own it any time, obviously. You can be living in Portugal all your life, you can import cars and pay the tax.

> "Greece or any other country don't matter Portugal has there rules and it's there rules you must follow."
Of course, but you didn't get my point or question.

Page 3 / 4

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €250+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online