Are we CRAZY to want to move to Portugal in these times? (by car!) - Page 4 – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

UKTV Banner

Are we CRAZY to want to move to Portugal in these times? (by car!)  

Page 4 / 4

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Eminent Member

Hello, planning to move to Portugal at around 7th October, as finally after 2 years our UK house sold.
Family with a 5.5 and 1.5 year old kids.

Difficulty with finding good rental homes in Algarve.
Cannot fly now to see more houses due to UK now asking for 14 day quarantine on coming back. So it has to be done when we're there and stay in Air BnB flat for a week or two.

So now our move there will be 1 way, as it would be difficult to return if something went wrong at the beginning.
Furniture will follow 1-2 weeks later, with the highly rated Algarve removals.

New ambitious plan:
Flying to Germany, buying a nice almost-new car and driving it back to Britain (with international plates & insurance as good price cars and variety is bad in Portugal), and moving with the car on the day (drive through France & Spain or ferry to Santander with a couple of hotel stops)

Is all this possible now with Corona, are there any restrictions driving though these countries? (I read driving from Germany to UK is fine as long as there are no stops in France)
Is it possible to have a problem coming into Portugal from Spain/France?
Could there be a lockdown in Portugal in October stopping everything (e.g. estate agents)?

Any thoughts? Any experience driving though countries these crazy Corona days?

34 Replies
1 Reply
 Tams
Community Member
(@tams)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @itexpert7

Hello, planning to move to Portugal at around 7th October, as finally after 2 years our UK house sold.
Family with a 5.5 and 1.5 year old kids.

Difficulty with finding good rental homes in Algarve.
Cannot fly now to see more houses due to UK now asking for 14 day quarantine on coming back. So it has to be done when we're there and stay in Air BnB flat for a week or two.

So now our move there will be 1 way, as it would be difficult to return if something went wrong at the beginning.
Furniture will follow 1-2 weeks later, with the highly rated Algarve removals.

New ambitious plan:
Flying to Germany, buying a nice almost-new car and driving it back to Britain (with international plates & insurance as good price cars and variety is bad in Portugal), and moving with the car on the day (drive through France & Spain or ferry to Santander with a couple of hotel stops)

Is all this possible now with Corona, are there any restrictions driving though these countries? (I read driving from Germany to UK is fine as long as there are no stops in France)
Is it possible to have a problem coming into Portugal from Spain/France?
Could there be a lockdown in Portugal in October stopping everything (e.g. estate agents)?

Any thoughts? Any experience driving though countries these crazy Corona days?

This type of thing is a conundrum for many of us.  Our thinking was simply to buy a five seater locally here in the UK and drive all the way and then get the car changed around when we got there.

Possibly doing a lot of the driving at night with empty roads (and fuel stations) and having enough tinned food with us so as to avoid personal contact with anyone in hotels etc. Its not the most comfortable solution by any means but it keeps virus risk to a minimum. It would mean trying to find somewhere quiet during the day to get some sleep - but it would also mean that the driving is done when there are colder temperatures and so much easier to keep warm because we are on the move.

A lot of investigation going to be required with this - not least the problems of buying an English car and then having to have it adapted, re-plated for use in Portugal.  I am not sure how feasible it is tbh.

Advice on these matters most welcome 🙂

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @tygger

I've been looking at the 3 main sites, Autotrader (UK) StAndvirtuAl (Portugal) and Autoscout (Europe) and although it can be difficult to compare identical models, at the moment there's not a massive difference in the prices,

Yes, you can find 1 to 2 year cars with only 2k more in Portugal, but the spec if massively different. While in Germany you get leather, sunroof, assistants, cameras, etc (e.g. 10k in options) the similar cars in Portugal don't even have alarm and have cloth seats!  (this is about the hybrid BMWs I'm looking for).

Posted by: @tygger

I've only just started to explore the longterm rental option, so it's early days, one of the challenges is finding a reliable/honest car hire company,

I had bad experiences with the big ones in Germany, and fantastic experiences in my Portuguese travels with car rental companies. I use an agent that has full inclusive insurance, and 0 security deposit!

Anonymous

Do you have any idea about where in the Algarve you would like to settle?  I moved to Lagos 20 years ago with a 2 and 7 year old.  They went through the Portuguese schooling system and now, 20 years on, one of them has returned to UK for further education.  If you can afford it, I would seriously recommend putting the children through an International school.  There are plenty around here, we benefit from a primary/junior school in Espiche and a senior school 10 mins drive away in Burgau.  Lagos is a great place to live and having worked all over the Algarve, I think I have chosen the best place, for all sorts of reasons.

Page 4 / 4

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online