Central Heating in The Algarve – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Central Heating in The Algarve

Page 1 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@stephinnc)

Hello all,
I am a U.S. citizen considering moving to The Algarve. I read that it is difficult to find a long term rental that offers central heating. And that it is expensive. Please let me know if you have information for such.
Thank you.
Stephanie:)

29 Replies

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

Yes electricity is expensive and villa owners have found in the past that when folk come in the winter the electricity bill is more than the winter rate they get

maybe an apartment on long term rental or aparthotels could be the answer..I did post on an earlier thread some links to a couple of places in armacao do pera in the algarve...however in those cases you would still have to pay extra for electricity .

perhaps the only real answer is to book a hotel room for a month or more eg like at the holiday in in armacao do pera where heating in included

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Hi there
The second winter we spent in the Algarve, we stayed at an Airbnb self-contained house which had solar-powered underfloor heating. After previously having had a winter of cold and damp it was fantastic.

I picked my way through all the Airbnb listings to find one with good heating (sadly they no longer do rentals so I can’t recommend that place). So such places do exist but are not the norm.

I agree, with Martin, the alternative is to find a hotel or apartments that have heating. The other thing is places that have the type of air con that also provides heating but indeed you may have to pay additional charges for it. Other types of heating are just electric fan, or oil-filled electric radiators, which are costly to run and of course wood fires or wood burners. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@aspidistra  This place advertised units with underfloor heating. 

https://www.quintaparaisodamia.com/

Community Member
(@martin)
Noble Member

here is one holiday firm offering 55 night trips including airfare etc...the holiday inn hotel in armacao is right on the beach by way

Algarve Holidays 2021/2022 | Jet2holidays

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

The problem with staying in hotels is that you can’t self cater, the advantage of an apartment or house rental is that you get some sort of kitchen.

I am thinking you are more likely to get underfloor heating, as shown also in Jeanne's post, than the sort of central heating, which is usually gas fired to a boiler, that is common in the UK.

Jeanne, this year we will be staying in December in the house I am buying, pre renovation, so I expect we will be rather cold and damp and we will have huge electricity bills from using electric heaters!

Page 1 / 3

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online