Driving Licence exchange UK to Portuguese – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Driving Licence exchange UK to Portuguese

Jac
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jac)

We have tried to call DVLA from Portugal for 10 days without success! This is to obtain a D737 form. We have managed to download a doc. from the gov.uk website which has our driving classifications on. It has a code which expires in 21 days. Can l use this doc. l note some people are saying a D737 form needs to be apostle some are not! We were then going to do the online video consultancy for a doctor on droneline.pt. Any one tried this? All help greatly received.

9 Replies
1 Reply
Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member
Posted by: @jac

We have tried to call DVLA from Portugal for 10 days without success! This is to obtain a D737 form. We have managed to download a doc. from the gov.uk website which has our driving classifications on. It has a code which expires in 21 days. Can l use this doc. l note some people are saying a D737 form needs to be apostle some are not! We were then going to do the online video consultancy for a doctor on droneline.pt. Any one tried this? All help greatly received.

Hi, DVLA have online chat - use that and request the D737 (phone call is slower I think due to the amount of people allowed in the office re: covid), they will post you one it takes about 1-2 weeks.
Be sure to get a document posted, Portugal will not accept a faxed copy.

VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member

Hi Jac,

Not sure that I understand your post 🙄

As I see it, you are already in Portugal, yes?

You are contacting the DVLA in the UK for a form, yes?

Why?

You can easily change your licence here. It involves an hour or so wait, a discussion as to what you want, photocopies of your residence form and a photograph, which they take 😊

If you have categories other than a car on your licence then you will lose them unles you apply to have them added. Do you need them? I was an HGV driver but as I had no intention of driving trucks in Portugal I didn't mind losing these categories.

All quite easy really. It would take weeks or months in the UK 😆

All the best,

Chris

Jac
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jac)

Hi Chris thanks for the reply. 

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@jac Loth though I am to directly contradict a fellow member of this forum, I suspect Mr Douglas has possibly forgotten exactly what was involved when he exchanged his licence and also failed to take into account changes to the procedure for the exchange of a UK licence incurred by Brexit.

Your summary in the opening post is correct to the best of my knowledge - you do need a medical (that was ever the case, regardless of country of origin, and I'm pretty sure you also now need to be enrolled in the PT public health system in order for your results to be correctly identified when electronically transmitted to IMT), and yes, you do now need that  document you mentioned from the DVLA, thanks to Brexit.

VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member

@x-camone

OMGosh, yes good old Brexit 🙄

Hi, yes, sorry, I had forgotten the medical, but it was quite simple and anyone already living here would be registered for health.

But a document from the DVLA 😱 That'll take months 😳

All the best 

Chris

Community Member
(@nonick)

I just used the webchat, took about 1 hour waiting for a free agent, took several attempts to get put in a queue so anybody using this needs to be persistant and patient but it works. Form D737 on the way 😊 

2 Replies
 Jac
Premium Member
(@jac)

Hi l have done the webchat twice and on both occasions i asked for the form D737 and it said it couldn't help me and closed the chat! interested to know what you put in the chat.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@jac I simply asked for a D737 certificate to be sent out and explained it was for a UK driving licence exchange due to Brexit. I asked if they could post to Portugal - they said no problem... And sent it to my address. Took me a while waiting, then about 2 mins talking to them 🙂 It turned up a little over a week later via Air Mail. 

I found the chat by requesting a CHECK code, then using the chat link.

Community Member
(@nonick)

I used this link https://contact.dvla.gov.uk/driving-licence

I just typed D737 in the chat and after a series of automatic questions requesting license number d.o.b. and address I was put in a queue that took about 1 hour before I was connected to an agent. I gave them my address here in Portugal and it is on it's way.

Sometimes you will get "All of our advisors are currently unavailable" so just refresh the page till you get one where you can open the WebChat. 

• EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online