Greeting from Alaska – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Greeting from Alaska  

Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)
Eminent Member

Ola! I am Martin and I currently live in Alaska. I am going to pursue a D7 Visa. I look forward to talking with others here, and I have much to learn. I have started to study the Portuguese language and it is much trickier than Spanish, which I have also started to study. Please stay safe, my friends.

6 Replies

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

Welcome. I think you will find it is a little warmer here!

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Eminent Member

@hartmill Indeed. The snow has crept down the mountains that surround Anchorage. I haven't quite put my fishing gear away for the season, but I probably should resign myself to the fact that winter is basically here.

Community Member
(@peggyl)
Estimable Member

Welcome Martin, I agree the weather might be more to your liking here. It's a beautiful day in the Algarve, blue skies & sunshine and about 70* here at our house. Be sure you are studying Portugal Portuguese and not Brazillian. They are different. Brave of you to take on two languages at one time. I am struggling to learn Portuguese. 

@peggyL

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Eminent Member

@peggyl Thanks for the advice. I was studying Spanish because I had thoughts of moving to either Costa Rica or Ecuador, but I can't seem to shake the idea of living in Portugal. I need to find an application that excels in Portugal Portuguese. If you know of one, please let me know. Enjoy the sun! Sounds beautiful.

Community Member
(@peggyl)

Estimable Member

@frozenrope8gmail-com

Martin, I have tried several language programs without luck. I finally took a beginner's course in Portuguese at the language school in Portimão. That gave me a good base and also some good practice with proper pronunciation. It was good to have the basics of verb conjugation and the basics of how to form a sentence. Now as I learn new words, it's easier to make the sentence correctly. I was chastised in class because I was using a translation online that defaulted to Brazillian Portuguese after every word so much of my homework was incorrect. Then someone told me about MEMRISE. It's on the web and I gave it a try. It teaches you the words, the spelling, the male/female via various written & listening skills in 5 word or phrase increments. And it uses native Portuguese speakers to voice the words so you know how to really pronounce it and how to recognize a word when you hear it. It's slightly less expensive than some of the others but comparable. You might want to give it a try and see if it suits you. Everyone has different ways of learning so it may or may not be your style. I do recommend that when you get here, you take a basic Portuguese course. It really helped me.

good luck, @peggyL

Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Eminent Member

@peggyl I started using Memrise. Thanks for the tip.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online