Have I landed in hell? - Page 2 – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Have I landed in hell?

Page 2 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@engineer)

My wife and I arrived on the 05th Jan after living in Germany for 7 years, we spent Christmas in the UK with family and ferried across to France on the 3rd, where despite the residence in Germany they stamped my passport like a 3rd country national so 90 days entry.

And now it seems that the system here is working against us as the amount of obstacles increases. 

I called SEF on arrival and was told that I have to wait until the end of Jan for them to update their website with the new info for the British, 2 days later SEF was disassembled, and they haven't a clue now what is going on.  When I commented on getting things done within 90 days he said don't worry you have until July, REALLY??

The local health office in Tomar is closed due to an outbreak of Covid within the staff,  so we can't register for the medical system until it starts up again.

We tried to get our cars done, a Jaguar and a BMW, both registered in Germany.  The BMW seems to have the correct paperwork and the BMW agent in Leiria was great, but now the matriculation is held up due to lockdown, but the test centre will not accept the Jaguar COC from Germany and want a new one and Jaguar in Leria is not responding very well and say it has to be done by Spain and can't give a date of how long it will take, weeks seem to be on the list according to Jaguar in Leria. 

The local customs office said everything has to be done online for the cars, but can't really offer any help except to tell us to do it or get fined!!  Tried to do the DAV form online and failed to get past the first point as I am not registered as a resident, no surprise there.

So all in all a bit of a mess.

So my questions are, does anyone know what is going on with residency and how to get things moving and is there any light in this long dark tunnel on how to get cars done quickly before someone dumps a fine on me?

Any advice gratefully noted.

James

17 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @engineer

the person in SEF said we have until July so either they are wrong or there is something else in the background allowing this that they know of.

That could be either,

1) - The person at SEF assumed you had arrived before 31/12/20 in which case a UK citizen would have until 30/06/21 to register their residency in Portugal, OR
2) - The person at SEF realised you entered PT after 31/12/20 and was quoting the extension to expired/expiring visas and residence documents that have been implemented because of Covid. 

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@engineer)

@old-bloke Hopefully he understood, but I will be checking with the SEF helpline again

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@engineer

I think you'll find the SEF helpline has currently been turned off and all contact has to be via email.

QBV
VIP Member
(@bon-ventos)
Trusted Member

Of course, there may well be extenuating circumstances for you making the decisions that you did, but I am just looking at the facts you have stated.

For the last year, both UK and Portuguese governments have been CONSTANTLY urging any UK citizen who intends to/already does reside in Portugal to ensure they are registered before 31st December 2020. You arrived 5 days after this deadline after driving from Germany to the UK, in the middle of a global disaster in which staying isolated is the number one preventative measure, to "spend Christmas with family" ie high probability of infecting, then drive to Portugal. You say that any advice is gratefully noted, yet the advice has been hammered home again and again by national governments and you went against it on two hugely important points, and are now getting frustrated because your move is not progressing smoothly. You have not landed in Hell, but your actions have contributed to potentially creating it. If you were able to drive to the UK for Christmas, you could have driven to Portugal instead, avoided who-knows-how many opportunities to infect/get infected, and register your presence in Portugal as an EU resident. OK, you would not have seen your family - join the millions of others in the same situation.

This has not been constructive in helping you find a way through your problems, except maybe shine a light on why you are facing these problems. I am not unsympathetic, just angry that despite all the announcements, there are those who ignore them and then complain.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@engineer)

@bon-ventos

I am well aware of the rules and we had circumstances I don't need to explain to you.

The reason I don't like using forums is because of pompous people like you who lecture rather than help, if you are angry go chop down a tree to work out your frustrations instead of just being a critic. 

I had hoped that this forum would be more professional, but not in your case. I asked the forum for advice, not your lecture on what I should have done.  My work permits me to travel worldwide, even in these circumstances, I don't enjoy travelling just now, but other lives are saved because of my work.

If you are frustrated tough luck, I don't need it from you, I came here to carry  on my work for the German organisation I represent and that's what I will do, even if it takes me longer than intended, I don't give up a challenge, but I surely give up on you..

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @engineer

Tried to do the DAV form online and failed to get past the first point as I am not registered as a resident, no surprise there.

Missed that yesterday.

Non residents can import cars (just not claim the ISV exemption) and submit a DAV in order to do so. I suspect what hurdle you've hit is that you either don't have a NIF, or if you do aren't registered with Financas for online access. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@engineer)

@old-bloke I have a NIF, the online for the DAV is delayed, apparently they are sending me a password in the post to complete the login process, then I will tackle the form with google translate to hand and s`ee how that goes.

Community Member
(@seastar)

James, it sounds like you have a D-type Visa stamp in your passport (or equivalent paper) ie Aufenthalserlaubnis NOT Niederlassungserlaubnis & in context of Abmeldung (schein).

So in this case, they stampted your passport page to register your movement (esp if there's anywhere on those documents that you are trying to terminate the German residency.. in such case showing them too many papers was not to your advantage, as Germany notes down every detail in detail..!)

Anyhow, regardless of the stamp you can be/travel within EU 90/180 days, but in context of lockdowns you must have a serious reason (otherwise you might get problems when returning/transiting as you're away from primary residence location)

If you were to attempt 2nd EU residency (or outstaying 90+ days within 6 months consecutively), you would need to go to foreigner's office with some acceptable reason (I never really understood if long-term rent qualifies for it, maybe in context of improving health at seaside/doctor's recommendation etc; otherwise any other evidence of what's keeping you..)

With permanent residency (Niederlassung) you get ID card which states "full market access" blablabla which translates as them not looking at your passport and (in practice) means that you can be in 2nd EU place as long as needed (it's unchecked). This is how many EU nationals don't bother registering their 2nd residencies, as in theory, they coulda-woulda-shoulda.Then again, it's (then) a simple process for getting 2nd residency based on any evidence (like utility bills/address)...

My 2 pennies; anyone more seasoned please feel free to correct!

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@engineer)

@seastar thanks for your input.  We were trying to cancel the Anmeldung that we have had since 2014, but due to the lockdown in Germany we were not able to get an appointment, so we gave a POA to have it done in our absence, hopefully, that will come through soon as we need it for the residency here.

I am working here so everything needs to be correct for tax and social security payments to be handled.  Unfortunately, the system is slower than normal everywhere with lockdowns and illness in staff so we keep working on it as we also have cars to transfer and register here and I appreciate positive input from the forum..

Community Member
(@seastar)

@engineer consider writing/asking in polite German whether the Behoerde can issue you a statement meanwhile? To the effect of your desired goals (as opposed to a general one), but this really takes language skills & getting through to the right person with the right reasons..

Once you got your ducks in a row with work/bureaucracy accounts, I imagine it's the light at the end of the tunnel. If your spouse is also non-EU citizen, the MFA might be looking into your salary/property as a security buffer for residency..

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@engineer)

Property is not an issue, we have something already lined up, it is just the residency that is the biggest worry just now as well hit a brick wall getting any more info and appointments to even get the info.

The lady at the customs was supper helpful explained the car procedure and all that needs to be done online, so one small forward step there, just need to master getting online and tackle the DAV form 🙁 .

Page 2 / 2

EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online