Heading to Portugal in September! Equal parts excited & nervous! – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Heading to Portugal...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Live and Invest Portugal

Heading to Portugal in September! Equal parts excited & nervous!  

RSS

(@ricky-m)
Active Member Community Member
03/08/2020 12:51 pm  

Hi all,

After finally selling our house in Nottinghamshire we're now tying up loose ends in the UK & set to head over to Portugal with our beloved pooch mid-September! Hoorah! We had planned on getting out earlier but our house sale was dragged out due to covid (not much fun at all!). I have to admit, we're both really nervous about how fine we will be cutting it with the end of the transition period. I've done lots of research & I'm really struggling to find a straight answer on a couple of points regarding Registration Certificates, so I'm praying somebody here can help us...

Firstly, can applications be processed before we have been in the country for 90 days? From everything official that I've read, it comes across as "no you can't" & that your application may only be made within the 30 day window after the 90 days? We would like to apply as soon as possible, as 90 days in Portugal will take us to within a week or so of Christmas & I'm worried the local camara may close for the festive period. We're looking to move to either the Coimbra or Castelo Branco regions if that makes any difference.

Secondly, once the transition period finishes, is the Registration Certificate still valid for the 5 years or do we have to go through a residency application in January?

Any help would be greatly appreciated & you'll definitely be settling the nerves of an anxious couple of Brits! 😀 

So happy to have stumbled across this forum! It seems to be packed with nothing but friendly & knowledgeable individuals...really hope this is a sign of what we can expect once we arrive in Portugal 🙂

Obrigado!

Ricky

(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
03/08/2020 1:02 pm  

Hi Ricky,

Welcome to the forum. We are really glad to have you here and yes, we pride ourselves on being a friendly bunch 🙂

I am from Australia so don't have the answers for you but I would suggest you take a look at our Calendar as we have some upcoming webinars that may be of interest, including a chat with the British Embassy here in Portugal.

We do hope you get a lot of information from our community and then when you have arrived in Portugal you come back and share your knowledge. 

We have quite a few members from Castelo Branco here but not too sure about Coimbra. I know we have some closeby though.

Astrid

ricky-m liked
ReplyQuote
(@ricky-m)
03/08/2020 2:12 pm  

@astridff Thanks Astrid. Just had a look at the calendar & the meet up at the end of the month sounds fun so I'll definitely look into that 🙂 

ReplyQuote
(@x-camone)
Noble Member VIP Member
03/08/2020 2:21 pm  

Hi, and welcome to the forum from me.

Posted by: @ricky-m

Firstly, can applications be processed before we have been in the country for 90 days? From everything official that I've read, it comes across as "no you can't" & that your application may only be made within the 30 day window after the 90 days?

Yes, and lots of people on this and other forums can testify to having registered prior to the elapsing of 90 days.

The wording of the law and on the relevant SEF website page is open to interpretation, neither specifically prohibiting nor explicitly ruling in registering one's presence within that period. Some Câmaras will refuse to though, apparently.

Posted by: @ricky-m

Secondly, once the transition period finishes, is the Registration Certificate still valid for the 5 years or do we have to go through a residency application in January?

For the time being, the initial registration certificate will be sufficient. The PT government has indicated that all UK citizens registered as resident prior to the end of the transition period will at some stage need replacement documents but hasn't released any further info on that as yet.

ReplyQuote
(@ricky-m)
03/08/2020 2:31 pm  

@x-camone Thanks for taking the time to answer & help us out! I really appreciate it.

Posted by: @x-camone

Some Câmaras will refuse to though, apparently.

I was a bit nervous that this may be the case. Pleased to hear that other people on this forum have had success within the 90 days though! I'm a cup half full kind of guy so it sounds like it should be ok...fingers crossed!

Posted by: @x-camone

For the time being, the initial registration certificate will be sufficient. The PT government has indicated that all UK residents registered prior to the end of the transition period will at some stage need replacement documents but hasn't released any further info on that as yet.

That's music to my ears & one less thing to stress about for the time being then. Can just focus on getting the Registration Certificate & I guess once in Portugal we'll keep checking the SEF site to see if there's any further updates 👍 

ReplyQuote
(@chocolate)
Eminent Member Premium Member
03/08/2020 4:18 pm  

@ricky-m Hi and welcome to the forum from a hopefully fellow U.K. couple moving to Portugal next year.  Unfortunately our decision to move came too late for us to even attempt to get there before 31 December but we are hoping there is nothing thrown up in the Brexit deal that stops us putting the house on the market in January (Corvid permitting) 

I’d love to hear how your moving experience goes after September and if you are able to give us any pointers.  

Good luck moving forward 

Elaine 

ReplyQuote
(@ricky-m)
03/08/2020 4:32 pm  

@chocolate Hi Elaine. I hope it all works out for you in the new year 🙂 I'll be sure to keep you posted on our progress - fingers crossed it's all plain sailing!

Posted by: @chocolate

Unfortunately our decision to move came too late for us to even attempt to get there before 31 December but we are hoping there is nothing thrown up in the Brexit deal that stops us putting the house on the market in January (Corvid permitting) 

Everything is so uncertain at the moment isn't it. Luckily our house sale was already underway when the lockdown hit. After it sold we were debating holding off until Jan/Feb to see if there is any more clarity from the government about travel etc but I'm not convinced there will be. We just decided to throw caution to the wind & get on with it! Unsure at the moment whether that's foolish or the best decision we've ever made 🤣  Only time will tell! Hopefully covid doesn't stop us from travelling in Sept.

ReplyQuote
(@chocolate)
Eminent Member Premium Member
03/08/2020 4:47 pm  

@ricky-m I don’t think it’s a foolish decision Ricky (total guess that’s your name 🥴). You may as well be in the warmth during another lockdown of it happens as opposed to the winters over here. As we think our house will sell quick 🤞🏾we did at one point contemplate trying to get over there by September and renting and then starting the whole residency process before December but in the end decided it was just too much of a risk. One of the things that was swaying us was the fact we wouldn’t have to go through the more slightly complicated process whilst still being EU citizens. However other countries move there all the time so whilst it may be a case of filling in more forms we know we’ll manage. 

Don’t know about you but we’re going to be going over as retirees so at least we don’t have the worry of getting a job. 

Start counting down your days! 

ReplyQuote

Blevins Franks Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online