Hello from Colorado! – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Hello from Colorado!

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@biostu)

My name is Stu and my partner (Lisa) and I are currently living in the state of Colorado. We are in a rental with a lease that ends at the end of Sept. and we are seriously contemplating visiting (possibly moving to) Portugal.

We were initially going to live/move to New Zealand for a few years but then COVID hit right when we were starting the visa process... bad timing at its worst.

So, plan B is to check out Portugal. Portugal and New Zealand have been our top choices for countries we would like to live in for an extended period of time and then, if feasible, make that country our new home.

With that said, I'm very much looking forward to talking/communicating with any of you who are willing to offer any advice or tips. We are literally just starting to put the pieces together to try and make this move happen so any initial advice would be wonderful.

At the moment we are looking at the Coimbra area. This area seems to be comparable to the Front Range region of Colorado? Coimbra is where we were thinking as a starting point with the plan being to stay in that area for the longest possible time we can (which I believe is 3 months as a visitor?).

That's where we are, plan wise, at the moment. Again, any info would be great and I'm sure I'll have more questions as our move time comes closer. Thanks for your time and I look forward to being a part of this forum community!

Stu

Topic Tags
6 Replies

Premium Member
(@ericj)
Estimable Member

@BIOstu Welcome to the Forum.  Lots of great information can be found here.

I am currently living in NC with a trip planned to Portugal during September.  My Wife and I are currently considering Lisbon, Porto and Coimbra as places we may like to retire, hopefully some time next year.  This will be our first trip to PT.

Feel free to ask all your questions here and watch some of the fine YouTube videos which cover a myriad of topics.

Good luck in your quest........

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

Hello Stu, I will be moving to Central Portugal early 2022. Just so happens I used to live in Colorado, ha ha. Arvada to be exact and worked at the University of Colorado Medical Center. What exactly is it you are looking for because I would not say Coimbra is anything like the Front Range. It is beautiful and I love it and could live there no problem but the Front Range it is not. Are you looking for mountains? If so the mountains of Portugal are not the same as in Colorado and that is a comparison like apples and oranges. There is nothing like the view from the top of a 14er on a clear morning. Closer to Serra da Estrela is more mountain like. The weather there is more 4 season like than much of the rest of Portugal. Coimbra and Viseu are likely the closest big cities. 

1 Reply
Community Member
(@biostu)

@bert Ok, good to know. I made the assumption about the Front Range comparison by looking at Google Earth and thought it might be similar. We are definitely ok with a change of scenery so we're not looking for a "Front Range" fit necessarily. We certainly are outdoors people though (I'm a Natural Resources Manger for parks and Lisa helps Jefferson county with citizen science projects) so it would be nice to be fairly close to some national forest/parks.

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

Oh well then you will not have any problems where ever you decide to roam. Throughout Portugal and the various microcultures found there you will find an abundance of outdoor activities to participate in. 

Community Member
(@oenococcusonei)

Hey, folks, good to hear from other Coloradoans who are also on this path of exploration.  I just sold my house of 21 years in Boulder County.  We moved to Washington state, two years ago, to attend wine making school and live in wine country.  The short sighted stripmallification of the Front Range finally made it unlivable for me.

We are also just reading and investigating and getting ready for 2022, when we can hopefully pop over to really look at various towns and regions.  I had been thinking that Porto, Coimbra and Cascais are areas I would like to spend some time in.

My initial plan is to just do the 90 day Schengen visa on the first trip.  When we get kicked out of the Schengen Zone, Eastern Europe, Baltics and Georgia are on our radar.  Then, back to PT once our visas reset, for another 90 days. 

That way we can see multiple seasons and get a broad view of what options are there for part-time expat FIRE life.

Page 1 / 2

• Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online