Hello from Panama City, Panama – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

Hello from Panama City, Panama  

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

My wife and I are US citizens who've lived in Panama for 7 years. We're planning on moving to Portugal next year and are just starting the D7 process.

15 Replies

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

Welcome, I hope you enjoy Portugal as much as we have.

Admin
(@carlm)
Eminent Member

Great to meet you, let us know how we can help... (-:

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

@carlm Well - we need to provide "proof of accommodation" - since we can't go there right now this is difficult. What are our options here?

Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Jordan, Astrid here - I look after all the member benefits on the site.

Although I haven't announced it yet, I am negotiating a deal with a company who will do short to mid-term rentals across Portugal with a lease contract which you can then use as part of your visa application (proof of address). Unlike AirBNB where you don't get a "lease".

They are keen to offer Premium Members a 20% discount off their booking fees and as you are a Premium Member, you can take advantage of this. Let me know of interest and I can get you some information.

I think this will really help people keen to come to Portugal who need a lease without the high "holiday rental" fees.

Or for those keen to buy somewhere but need a flexible rental agreement while they search.

Rentals can otherwise be difficult to find or very expensive here in Portugal.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

@astridff Yes - I'm interested - thank you. Let me know what the next steps are please.

Admin
(@astridff)

@jordan_zimmerman you can see the offer and website link here Jordan:

https://expatsportugal.com/premium-member-benefits/

Let me know if you want the discount code for being a Premium Member 🙂

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Eminent Member

Do you apply through Panama since that's your country of residence? Or do you still have to apply through the US? 

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

@maxgravy we will be applying through the consulate here in Panama

EnSu
Community Member
(@ensu)

@jordan_zimmerman....hello, I am new to this site & already fascinated by the wealth of info & everyone's willingness & enthusiasm to help...life is soooo interesting...we are US citizens and were contemplating Panama & Portugal for a while...and here you are moving from Panama to Portugal...if it's not to personal, would you mind to share why? Best regards

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

@ensu We've lived in Panama for 7 years. It was a great decision for us and Panama met our needs up until now. Here are the major reasons we're moving:

• Cost: Panama has gotten much more expensive since we first moved here. We've compared costs and Portugal may be a bit more expensive but you get a much better quality for that money (food, quality, etc.).
  • Climate: my wife can't stand the humidity. We are very close to the equator here and it's constantly humid.
  • Quality of life: while Panama has much going for it, things just don't work very well here. It's very difficult to find people who do quality workmanship, etc. Additionally, Panama has no sense of customer service or deference to customers - it's hard to describe until you experience it.
  • Culture: the local culture is fantastic here but we love European culture more

In short, at this stage of our lives we think the quality of life in Portugal will be much more aligned with our needs.

EnSu
Community Member
(@ensu)

@jordan_zimmerman....Hello, thank you so very much for the informative reply...We are originally from Europe, but since 1989 US is our beloved home...recent retirees, so for me the choice between Portugal & Panama has been rather clear...all the best with your transition to Portugal, best regards

Community Member
(@peggyl)
Estimable Member

Welcome, You have come to the right Forum for meeting friendly, helpful ex-pats now living in Portugal. We have been here since 2017 and on this forum for several months. There are a great group of people ready, willing, and more than able to be of help should you need something.

@peggyL

Page 1 / 2

UKTV Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online