Hello from Ventura, CA – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

[adrotate group="5"]

Hello from Ventura, CA  

Community Member
(@ventura_via_boston)

Hi folks,

My name is Andy and I currently live in Ventura, CA and I love it here.  HOWEVER, I am on permanent disability of about $1700 per month and would love to move somewhere I could really stretch my dollars.  I've started researching the various low-cost high quality of living areas of the world and right now Portugal is at the top of my list.  

I'm single, an active 50 looking for a quiet area on or near a lake or river as I am an avid fisherman.  The coast is an obvious choice but that always comes with higher costs.  I probably won't be moving until late 2021 or early 2022, but I always do my research so might as well start now, right?

If you guys could point me to some areas to start looking into it would be greatly appreciated!

- Living on or near water is a must

- High speed or at least dependable internet is a must

- I don't care about nightclubs/bars but a low-key pub nearby would be nice.

3 Replies

Admin
(@astridff)

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

A couple of weeks ago we did a webinar about USA vs Portugal: Let's compare the cost of living. You can find it here:

https://expatsportugal.com/portugal-calling-webinars/

Depending on where you choose to live, you could find yourself living quite comfortably for $1700 a month. Will you need to pay rent or will you buy as this will be your biggest expense.

And when you are looking for a "low-key pub" are you looking for one filled with Expats or one with the Portuguese locals? 

You could find some amazing places by the sea if you look further north of Portugal or even the Alentejo coastline. If you go to the Algarve, you will pay higher prices.

Do you need to be close to any city? Or happy to live rurally?

This may help people point you in the right direction.

You will find the internet to be very good in almost all places in Portugal. 

Astrid

2 Replies
Community Member
(@ventura_via_boston)

@astridff Thanks Astrid!  I'm going to be renting, for sure.  In a perfect world I would rent an apartment, house or cabin on a lake, with a reasonable drive to the ocean. 

Rural living would be fine, I mentioned the pub only in that on the rare occasion I would like to get out I would prefer the area not to be a ghost town after dark.  I wouldn't mind being in an expat area, but it isn't absolutely necessary.  I plan on working on my Portuguese over the next year.

I'll check out that webinar now.

Thanks again,

Andy

Admin
(@astridff)

@ventura_via_boston thanks for more info Andy.

I am not experienced with fishing destinations in Portugal but know that rents in rural areas can range from €300 to €600 for a very decent family house. So if you are happy with an apartment, you could definitely still have a lot left in your budget.

Out of curiosity, I typed in FISHING in the SEARCH BY KEYWORD function to the top left corner of this forum and there is a heap of information about fishing in Portugal including good fishing spots etc. Could be a good place for you to start your research.

When Gerry and I took over the site, we really were keen to keep all the threads/posts from the old forum which dates back to 2005. Guess information on good fishing places in Portugal wouldldn't change too much over these years 🙂

[adrotate group="6"]

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online