Hey all. Pleased to meet you. – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Hey all. Pleased to meet you.

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@shoesonwires)

I'm Justus, from Vancouver, BC. Heard about this place on Good Morning Portugal (thanks, Carl) and thought I would have a look. Looks good. 😀 

I have fallen back in love with Portugal over the course of the lockdown, using a lot of extra time to start a website. My family and I will be moving to Portugal one day - working on a Five Year Plan -and the website catalogs my attempt to prepare for that eventual move. I'm just learning as much as I can and writing about it as I go. I have a huge soft spot in my heart for the Algarve, as that's mostly where I have visited (also Lisbon), and if the cards play out that way I have located some spots there that are very appealing to me. Bensafrim, for example, keeps popping up for me, and I'm also looking a lot more at the Eastern Algarve, especially Tavira. The whole Rio Formosa basin fascinates me. Central Portugal  is also very attractive, for financial reasons as much as the landscape. Pedrógão Grande in particular has caught my attention.

Our family consists of me, my wife Lisa, and our two boys Alex (14) and Rowan (11). By the time we move, Alex will be old enough to make his own choices, but Rowan will be with us. He has Downs and Autism, so he will be living with us for as long as possible. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience living with a disabled person in Portugal, from both a cultural and bureaucratic perspective.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you. Take it easy!

- Justus

8 Replies

Anonymous

Welcome Justus & family! We love the Algarve and it will be wonderful for you to bring Rowan even if Alex has other plans. They think that know it all at that age. Hope he gets a good job so he can visit often. I have heard of and seen ads for respite care which is important for raising a special needs child especially as they grow older. I don't know about schools and other daycare activities for him. I suspect there are daycare facilities where he can be with other young people and socialize. Coming from BC is nearly like coming from the US so be sure to read my blog posts for some helpful tips on relocating. Also a great pod cast/facebook video/ radio broadcast "Good morning Portugal" that you might find helpful and amusing. It's On at 0900 our time. but you can always access the videos after broadcast if you miss one. Hundreds of Ex-Pats from all over in the Algarve. If you come for a visit, let me know and I can tell you about our weekly get-together at Jack's Irish pub in Albufeira. 

If I can assist in any way, please let me know via this site @peggyL.

Peggy

2 Replies
Community Member
(@shoesonwires)

@peggyl Thanks for that, good to hear. I will definitely check out those posts. I'm a regular listener to Carl, so I've already heard that episode, the one you were one. Very good. 😀 

Anonymous

Premium Member
(@goodmorningportugal)
Estimable Member

Hi Justus, great to see you here (-:

Community Member
Topic starter
(@shoesonwires)

You too, Carl. It's all your fault. 😘 

Premium Member
(@ktr)

My wife and I have a similar situation. My step-son is 27 and has autism. He is not able to have a job without close supervision. 

We are seriously looking to move to Portugal in five years or so. My wife has a 50% custody arrangement with her ex. Our tentative plan is to have him stay with us 6 months out of the year. 

He communicates pretty well verbally (in English). 

We are wondering what visa would allow him to visit us for 6 months at a time. We would be applying for the D7 for ourselves.  

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online