Hi All...the Journey begins! – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Hi All...the Journe...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Ei! Migration Banner

Hi All...the Journey begins!  

RSS

(@livinginusa)
Active Member Premium Member
12/07/2020 4:24 pm  

Good Afternoon,

My Wife and I currently live in the US and have just begun contemplating where we should retire to.  Without getting political or anything, we are thinking a move sooner than originally planned may be in our best interest.  Numerous articles that I have read regarding retired ex-pats all point to Portugal.  This Community Board appears to be an excellent resource.  I look forward to all the great insight provided by the Members here.

Have a great day!!

DR.

(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
14/07/2020 6:02 pm  

Hello @livinginusa and a very warm welcome to our community. When I say warm, I really mean it, we are enjoying a glorious Portuguese Summer right now.

We have a lot of American members on our forum. Some have already made the leap and others are in the process, so you are in good company. Over the next few weeks, we will be introducing new features and services that will be of particular interest for non-EU residents, so watch this space, as they say.

Meanwhile, please feel free to ask any questions on the forum and please take a look through our Expats Guide which has a lot of factual information about moving and living here and also our Blog where you will find some interesting articles from @peggyl who is our unofficial American Ambassador 🙂 

Best of luck in your research and planning - we're here to help.

Gerry  

ReplyQuote
(@livinginusa)
15/07/2020 4:04 pm  

Thanks Gerry!

We'll have plenty of questions I'm sure.  I feel fortunate to have found this great resource which seems to be driven by a growing group of very friendly, helpful and informative Members.

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
Trusted Member Community Member
16/07/2020 1:26 pm  

@livinginUSA       welcome to expats Portugal. This a great place to have questions answered. We purchased a holiday home 3 years ago and after year 2 I began my residency. I knew I wanted to stay. December 2019 we sold the townhouse and purchased a large 4 bedroom home in the algarve. We moved here permanently and even sold our home in the US. I am happy to answer your questions. Or at least try to answer. Before you pick an overseas mover, be sure to check with me. Where are you living in the US? Do you have any idea what part of Portugal inserests you as a retirement home? Do you have a list of wants? needs? in your search for the part of Portugal that interests you and what you are thinking of in the way of housing? 

kind regards, @peggyL

ReplyQuote
(@livinginusa)
13/08/2020 7:34 pm  

Been a while since I posted but rest assured, I have been doing a lot of reading on this great website.  My frustration continues to grow as the Covid-19 restrictions continue to linger with no end in site.  Not having the opportunity to visit Portugal, I'm feeling a sense of losing valuable time.

Just to expand upon my original post, my Wife and I currently live in North Carolina, having left New York last September after living there our entire lives.  Events of the past year have really got us thinking where we should go next.  We are both in our mid-50's and really think we can make a go of it in Portugal with what we have been able to save.

We currently have no desire to own a home at this point as we had our fill of that while living in NY.  We have no children, so we are comfortable doing things on the spur of the moment.  We enjoy nice weather (not too hot, heheheh), spending time outside, etc.  We currently live right outside of Charlotte, so Urban living is not an issue, actually it's our preference.  Owning a car is also not a requirement if it's not necessary based on the location we end up.

I'm certainly open to any suggestions that might meet the profile I have somewhat outlined above.  I guess I should mention, most of what I am reading has been pointing me to the Algarve region.

Thanks in advance........so glad I found this great community. 

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
14/08/2020 9:49 am  

Hello @livinginusa,

My first thought on reading your above post is to suggest you consider Tavira in East Algarve. Beautiful historic town and all amenities within walking distance. Also, good rail connection to rest of Algarve and beyond. Tavira is on the edge of the Ria Formosa Natural Park with amazing beaches and walking trails.

Best wishes

Gerry

ReplyQuote
(@livinginusa)
14/08/2020 12:59 pm  

Thanks @gerry

I'd also like to add that we would probably be most comfortable living in an area where there are many US ExPats as it would likely make our transition far easier.

ReplyQuote

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online