Hi I'm new to this forum – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Hi I'm new to this forum

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@desertdweller)
Eminent Member

My name is Aviva Ariel and I current live in the southwest of the United States.

I will be retiring in 2022 and I am planning to come to Portugal for a few months to see if I can make a home in this country. I am a a creative person and psychotherapist by profession.

I would appreciate any advice/insights anyone wants to share.

9 Replies

Anonymous

Welcome to expats forum. Currently Portugal's air border is closed to tourists. Until you decide if you want to get your residency here, you will be restricted by your Tourist passport. Yesterday we passed an important date for the re-evaluation of the state of emergency and the possible lifting of more restrictions. The best place to keep up with the latest news is on line at the 2 English "speaking" newspapers. First  www.theportugalnews.com  is the national newspaper in English. After the govt. officials meet Thursday, there will be news on-line of the decisions. The other newspaper is    www.theAlgarveresident.com I wish you the best of luck and hope you will get over soon to check out this beautiful country. For more information about travel as a tourist, you can check out the immigration web site at www.sef.pt

@peggyL

4 Replies
 Anonymous

those .com newspaper sites might be   .pt

sorry, don't have a paper in front of me

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@desertdweller)

Eminent Member

@peggyl

Premium Member
(@pietro)

@peggyl 

Dear Peggy,

dear Peggy,

My wife and I are semi retired and intend to live in Tavira And are currently under contract to buy a place there.

and are currently under contract to buy a place there.

I would like to communicate with you regarding the Algarve area and other matters about living in Portugal and ask if you are receptive to such an arrangement.

Please advise If I can contact you, and if so by what means or manner.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Peter Lupoli

Premium Member
(@desertdweller)

Eminent Member

thank you.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@desertdweller)
Eminent Member

Thank you for your kind response. I am hoping to visit as soon as it is possible.

1 Reply
 Anonymous

@desertdweller

Welcome

@peggyL

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your plans to visit and eventually move here, it's a great country to live in.

My advice is to have a good think about how you want your life to be here - do you want to live a quiet life in a tranquil rural location? Live in a city? something in between? Do you want to have other expats to mix with or immerse yourself into Portuguese life? Do you want to live in a holiday resort location or in a normal working city/town/village? Do you want easy access to cultural events? find out where they happen! Do you want to be close to an airport? travel links? Will you have a car? Do you want to be near the sea or countryside or both? Do you want a big house with lots of land or an apartment in the centre of a town? What is your life like now? What elements of it do you like/want to keep?

I think the more you question yourself about the type of place you want to live in, the easier it will be to narrow down your search once you get here (or to ask better informed question on this forum). Life in the countryside here is very different to life in the city, until you get to know the country well you can miss out on visiting places that could be perfect for you! If you're lucky you will visit and find somewhere that just feels right for you, but research will help you to find it. Good luck!

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@desertdweller)

Eminent Member

@pamalcobaca Thank you for your advise. Sorry it took so long to respond.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online