Hi to forum members – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

Hi to forum members  

Page 1 / 3

Ker
Premium Member
(@ker)

Hi all, My partner and I are working ourselves up for a permanent retirement move to Portugal. We quite like the idea of the area just south of the Minho river that separates Northern Portugal from Spain. There are some micro-climate pockets just north of the river on the Spanish side but does anyone know of similar on the Portuguese side?

Furthermore, I understand that Portuguese residency must precede the application for Non-Habitual residency and we will need to get in quick (maybe a rental property first) to beat the December 2020 deadline for these two things. Anyone know how long these applications take? Should we be getting our shoes on??? 

19 Replies
3 Replies
Admin
(@lincolnbaggie)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @ker

Furthermore, I understand that Portuguese residency must precede the application for Non-Habitual residency and we will need to get in quick (maybe a rental property first) to beat the December 2020 deadline for these two things. Anyone know how long these applications take? Should we be getting our shoes on??? 

@ker Once you have a long-term rental agreement or house deeds you can obtain the 5-year temporary residency very easily and quickly (at least in my experience). You will need an NIF (fiscal) number from Financas (you will need that for renting a property anyway if the landlord is doing things by the book) and possibly other stuff depending on where you will be living. A visit to your local parish freguesia for your atestado residencia (to prove you live in your local town) and then your local camara to get the actual residence certificate should take less than a week.

Applying for NIF is done once you become tax resident in Portugal and can be applied for up to March 31st next year for 2020. You'll let Financas know that your NIF number should be registered to your Portuguese address (which makes you tax resident here in their eyes) and then you can apply online for NHR status in 2 minutes (assuming you are not working). No need to pay an agency or lawyer, it really is very simple. You will need to register for the online Financas portal to send your PT tax return and register for NHR, but that also lets you pay your car tax, property tax etc online. I've just completed the whole process, so message me if you need any more help.

Getting an NIF (fiscal) number first is the most important first step - you will need that for everything.

Ness
Community Member
(@ness)

Ker
Premium Member
(@ker)

@lincolnbaggie /Thank you very much for this detailed reply. I'm beginning to formulate a picture in my mind as to both the procedures and the time needed to enact them. 

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hello @ker and welcome to our community.

I certainly see why you might chose this area. You would be close to Braga which is a lovely town and not so far from Porto and all it has to offer. Being close to the Spanish border can also be beneficial in terms of buying fuel and access to Spanish supermarkets for example. I don't have any information on the micro-climates in the area but hopefully, some other members can help.

Renting somewhere first is a great idea - gives you time to process residency, organise healthcare registration and decide on your favourite areas.

Regarding residency and NHR, I assume you are British citizens. In that case, I can put you in touch with a newly established organisation in Portugal who are working to assist British citizens looking to move here. This organisation has sponsorship from the UK Government. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you an email introduction. Alternatively, I recommend that you find a lawyer near to where you intend to live and he/she can help with these matters. You will definitely need to apply for a fiscal number (and possibly a bank account) before you can apply for residency and NHR.

Kind regards

Gerry

2 Replies
 Ker
Premium Member
(@ker)

@gerry Thank you for your friendly and informative reply! Yes, I am British and yes I would be very interested in getting in touch with the sponsored organization to which you referred in your reply. Please send me the information. Many thanks, Ker

Community Member
(@wosiebeegs)

Eminent Member

@gerry I'd also be really interested in getting in touch with the sponsored organisation if you wouldn't mind sharing with me too please. We're hoping to move out at the end of October this year, so time will be short for us to sort everything out.

Many thanks

Debbie

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

@ker

Hello Ker. Just sent.

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

@Deborah

Hi Deborah. Just sent you an email introduction.

Regards

Gerry

Ness
Community Member
(@ness)

I too would appreciate getting in touch with the organization you mention. Thanks. Vanessa

Page 1 / 3

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online