Hi!My name is Dave and I am moving to the Azores! – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Hi!My name is Dave and I am moving to the Azores!

Community Member
Topic starter
(@daveinva)

At least I hope so! I have been working on this sine May of last year but  the Covid bans kept me from traveling there to check it out. I am now planning on flying there in November for the first time to check it out and start looking for a pace to live there. I will be looking at 4 islands and hope to fall in love with one of them. I am 67 and single and hopefully won't have any trouble with  the D7. I have a pension and Social Security and some money in the bank but am by no means wealthy. My house here in VA is paid for free and clear and hope to be able to purchase a house in the Azores with the proceeds of selling it. With my luck they will do another travel ban days before my departure.

I'm sure I will have a lot of questions here along the way. I've been following this forum for a couple of years now but this is my first post.

Dave

6 Replies

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Hi Dave. The Azores are beautiful but feel too in the middle of nowhere for me. What has made you choose there rather than Madeira or the mainland?

Take some waterproofs. I went there in November and it’s green there for a reason - the rain! But a nice temperature.

Premium Member
(@cindyb)
Trusted Member

Ola and bem vindo Dave,

I am curious why you chose the Azores as well. I hear they are beautiful and definitely on my list to visit.

You may want to join us over at Solo Expats in Portugal. It's the forum for those of us who are making Portugal home as a single person. I will send you an invite.

CindyB

Community Member
Topic starter
(@daveinva)

I started looking into the Portugal mainland about 4 years ago but wasn't ready to make a move then as I was waiting until I had Social Security and my Motorola pension. I finally decided to go there to check it out in May last year but Covid came along. I had wanted to go to the mainland for 10 days and 3 days in the Azores. I don't want to live in a big city like Lisbon and couldn't afford it if I did.  I am not much into nightlife or bars and am pretty much a homebody. I had a few areas I had researched as possible places to live.and wanted to check them out. But in the last 4 years houses in those areas have mostly gone up more than I can afford. I will have about $150k US from the sale of my current house.  I plan on renting for a while to make sure I picked the right area etc.  I need a detached house because my main hobby and stress buster is music so I don't do well in flats or semi's. 😀 After doing a lot more research most of the places I found were inland and to isolated even for me. 4 years ago I could find nice looking places in my price range in the Algarve and places north of Lisbon but not any more. I don't need an especially large home as its just me and 2 cats and after owning a 5000 sf Victorian I don't want to have a large house to clean, furnish and maintain anyways.

So on to why I am making the Azores my first choice. First it seems cheaper in general to live there than the mainland. Also the VAT taxes are less there.  I can still find houses there in my budget that seem ok. I love nature and love to walk and hike etc so I hope it will help get me out of the house more with all the natural beauty to experience. If I have reservations after I visit there I will likely visit the mainland and see what I can find.

I was surprised that the rainfall in the Azores was 30 to 40 inches a year depending on which island. The town I live in now gets 45 so I don't think that will bother me. Also the moderate temps will make up for it.

One problem I will have is that my vision has been deteriorating and I may not be able to drive for to many more years so I will also need to be near public transportation. 

2 Replies
Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@daveinva hi Dave. How interesting, it had never occurred to me to think of the Azores to live. I think you are right the cost of living there is low. I think it’s an excellent idea to go in the winter, to see how that is, and also to rent first. 

One thing we didn’t realise until we got there was that the main inter-island ferries don’t run in the winter, so the only option is to fly between islands (weather permitting) which can work out quite pricey. I think Azoreans get special prices to travel on the planes if I recall. 

So we only got to Sao Miguel. We did find we used a car a lot to get around but we didn’t look into public transport. I found it sort of old fashioned and quaint. Great if you like cows and hydrangeas. 

I will be really interested to hear your thoughts when you revisit. Boa sorte.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

@daveinva Hi Dave. Good idea travelling to the Açores in November/December, so you see the "bad side"of it. As it's located in the middle of the Atlantic, it get's windy and very rainy in the worse (stormy) days, but it's rarely really cold. The worse might be the sense of isolation, for being in an island. In terms of public transportation, you can check it here: https://byacores.com/transportes-publicos/ . Of course only the bigger islands have more buses, but who needs a bus in Corvo, hei? (Corvo Island has only 400 inhabitants, you can visit it all in an hour or so on foot)

Even though Portugal isn't big, there will certainly be a place that suits you, just have to look.

The best advice I can give you is: visit first, so you don't regret it later (that's valid for any place anywhere).

I love the Açores, lived there for 3 years.

Best of luck

Premium Member
(@cindyb)
Trusted Member

The first book I read about Portugal was set in the Azores and it sounds lovely there. I have heard it referred to as the "Hawaii" of Europe. I will be anxious to hear your thoughts once you arrive. Please keep us posted.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online