House selling season in the Algarve? – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

House selling season in the Algarve?

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@aspidistra)
Estimable Member

Hi all, newbie here. 😀

I am buying a house in the Algarve and the seller wants it to progress fast because she fears if I drop out, she will miss the what an estate agent says is the main season for viewing houses to buy - August.

The vendor is perfectly kosher but I just want to know, is it true that most house viewings happen in August? It strikes me as a time when most people just want to be on holiday and it is too hot to go house hunting. Has anyone else heard this or is the agent just trying to get her to put it on the market pronto?

23 Replies

Community Member
(@sonia)
Trusted Member

I'm an «algarvia» and never heard of it. But it might be something related to some specific location, where is the house located? If it is in a resort it might be related to that, since August is usually the busiest season in the resorts and maybe the agent has more viewing now because of that. Also might be the seller fears that the price might drop or has some motive to want to sell fast.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@sonia hi, no it’s not on the coast, it's near to Silves. I personally think it might just be the estate agent pushing the vendor to get selling.

Premium Member
(@paulr)
Estimable Member

Red Flags come to mind!! Be careful of people rushing you Houses sell all year,

Normally after the rental season . Just bought a Villa in the Algarve, after looking at over 30 properties in the Algarve. Descriptions were well poor or parts were illegal check everything out TWICE. and get a professional survey. I have a British Guy who works in the algarve. He did my property with a 17 page written report . Cost a bit but worth every penny if they find serious unknown faults It goes against the grain but good property in the right area with a sensible price do sell quickly/ I though I would get loads off being a cash buyer, Finished up giving the full asking price just because of what it was !!!!

3 Replies
Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@paulr hi paul, what month would you say is the end of the rental season? I also thought then, or also in spring when people tend to start coming over more.

I am using an RCIS building surveyor. I feel the vendor is being told this by an agent wanting her business in August. 

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

@aspidistra

Agree with others re being pushed to complete. RCIS surveyor is a positive in our eyes.

Boa sorte!

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@paulr 
Hi Paul, that's good that you bought, have you moved in?
We're also thinking of buying a lovely modern house near Alvor.
Were you happy with your British surveyor, would you recommend him?
How much did it cost you?
The problem I see is that the system here is strange, they expect us to give 10% to take the property out of the market, but I don't feel safe to do that before having had a lawyer check over all papers and a survey done.
How did it work with your purchase?

Kind Regards,
Michael.

Premium Member
(@tinad)

We recently purchased two properties in the Algarve. The 10% seems standard and is sent to YOUR lawyer's trust account to hold for you. It does not 'go hard' until all parties sign the purchase agreement which is done after the inspections and all the due diligence. It's certainly different than CA real estate, but it works!!

Premium Member
(@paulr)
Estimable Member

ITexperts We own the property at the end of this month August.

We paid a 5000 euro deposit to the estate agent. This took the property off the market for 20 days, in which time we could do all our checks. This was refundable if we changed our minds or found something wrong.  We then paid the 10% prommisory note which meant we had made a full commitment to buy. This meant if we changed our minds the 10% deposit would be lost, however if the seller changed their mind they had to pay us double. This is Portuguese law. The initial 5000 euros is more like a gentleman's agreement and the seller could change their mind but you would get your initial deposit back. We made our 10% deposit cheque payable to the sellers solicitor. In PT the money goes direct to the seller, not like the Uk where the solicitor holds the money until completion.

Regarding the surveyor . Richard Kale is his name , very professional and English. He gave us a 17 page report on the property and made some suggestions on minor issues. I gather he only works in the Algarve though/ Would fully recommend.

Lawyers Be very careful there. We used a friends recommendation and found out  he was not the best , check their costs first before agreeing  CONTRACT.

This guy Chris Tamblyn was a main helper 0351 968721152 He's English lives in the Algarve for over 20 years true gentleman . If you see a villa Chris will go out to it, film it looking for faults, he works for you and does not charge, 

Good luck with your search

Paul

7 Replies
Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@paulr ah, it is Richard Kale that I am using as a surveyor too. His costs are all listed so easy to find out, Just waiting for his report now. Not cheap, I am reeling at the cost compared to in the UK but I am expecting a really thorough job.

I did wonder if it is possible to get a surveyor to just value a property, without doing a full survey, in Portugal? At the moment the price the vendor is asking is based entirely on what an estate agent has said the property is worth. I am paying for a full building survey as am v serious about buying this property but am curious about whether I could have just had some sort of valuation done independently so the vendor and myself know what is a fair price. I am buying directly from her.

Premium Member
(@paulr)

Estimable Member

@aspidistra  Thats a tricky one ,I looked at property round the one for sale and checked the prices . I believe Richard would do just a valuation but you would have to ask him . He charged 600 euros + tax. Thats cheap compared to UK prices. Plus I think he is the only qualified person English speaking in the Algarve. You could offer the property as described to other estate  agents asking for a valuation without seeing it as if it were your property ????

Community Member
(@sonia)

Trusted Member

@aspidistra it is posible to value only the property, here is the link to my post responding to a similar question

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@paulr 
Wow Paul thank you!
We're in the Algarve too.
So Chris Tamblyn is your lawyer?
And Richard Kale the surveyor?

@tinad said the 10% goes to your lawyer not the seller, which sounds too good to be true.

Kind Regards,
Michael.

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@itexpert7 Richard Kale is a surveyor. Chris Tamblyn is not a lawyer, he sounds like a property agent?

Premium Member
(@paulr)

Estimable Member

@itexpert7 Chris Tamblyn was the independent estate agent who helped us find properties I would look at property on the internet Idealista  plus others and he would go out and check them out. he was not my lawyer Richard Kale was the surveyor 

Regards

Paul

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

Estimable Member

@paulr am I understanding you right, you think I should pretend to be the seller to an estate agent when I am the buyer?! Hmm. 

re surveyors, I googled RICS surveyors Algarve. Along with Richard Kale I also found Peter Densham. He was polite to deal with and I think would also have done a good job, just wasn’t free when I needed someone. I am sure there are decent, English-speaking Portugueuse surveyors too but I feel you know what you are getting with an RICS/MRICS surveyor.

Page 1 / 2

• Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online