Howdy from Texas - Page 2 – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Live and Invest Portugal

Howdy from Texas  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

MaxG
(@maxgravy)
Eminent Member Premium Member
10/08/2020 7:44 pm  

Hi and thank you for the website. I just joined over the weekend and am looking forward to learning and sharing. My wife and I are planning to move to Portugal. We've wanted to do this for a long time and finally decided to make it happen. I have a call scheduled with Ei! tomorrow morning. 

We're currently retired in rural Texas and would like to live in a small quiet town in Portugal. Our plan to is to rent in Lisbon for a few months and explore different areas before we settle down. The Coimbra area seems to make the most sense. 

-Randy

AnaVieira liked
 MaxG
(@maxgravy)
04/09/2020 6:56 pm  

Will do! Today we're getting 17 signatures notarized and sending them to Millenium Bank. Opening a bank account in Portugal is like buying a house. 🧐 

astridff liked
ReplyQuote
(@bigdhombre)
New Member Premium Member
14/09/2020 10:29 pm  
Posted by: @maxgravy

This is all starting to feel very real. Today we got our NIF numbers from Eimigrante. We're using them for full service. So far they have been very helpful and friendly. 

Also, my wife joined this site yesterday, user name: Splunky. She has not received a confirmation and isn't able to log in. 

Congrats on starting the move! I also just contacted Eimigrante for the NIF - I was wondering if you just emailed the docs like passport and proof of residence, or if there is a more secure way to send them sensitive info?

ReplyQuote
 Bert
(@bert)
Active Member Premium Member
15/09/2020 4:05 am  

@maxgravy

Hi Max, This is Roberta from Sacramento California. I am planning on moving to Portugal as well but not until 2022 when I retire. Even though it is a while off yet I am already starting to do many things as you are correct there is a boatload of to do. If I may piggyback off of your process to learn more I would be interested to know what shipping company you may be using from Texas and any pearls you can provide. Also, would be interested in hearing more about Ei. I have e-mailed them but thus far no response...? Thanks and bõa sorte. Roberta

ReplyQuote
 MaxG
(@maxgravy)
15/09/2020 11:53 am  

@bigdhombre 

First we had to get copies of our passports notarized. We emailed all the docs and then sent the originals by FedEx. The cost to FedEx was ~$75 and it took about 5 days. 

Now we're trying to open an account with Millenium Bank. It's almost like buying a house. They sent us 50 pages to review. We had to have 17 signatures notarized, email them and then Fed Ex them to the bank. Another $75. These documents made it to Lisbon last Wednesday and for some reason still haven't been delivered. I've called FedEx twice and they were of no help. I think things just happen slower in Portugal. 

Hope that helps!

We've been busy getting ready for a moving sale so I haven't been online much. 

David Lee liked
ReplyQuote
 MaxG
(@maxgravy)
15/09/2020 12:04 pm  

@bert

We moved here from Sacramento six years ago. I used to work for the city. We retired early and got the heck out of there. So we're selling pretty much everything we own. A few family items are going into storage or being left with friends and family for now. We're taking the minimalist path so I can't recommend a moving company. 

So far I've been very happy Ei! They're responsive and professional. Gilda will want to do a facetime call to meet you. It's a great way to get started. We're now working with Cristina. I believe she handles all clients from the US. 

Good luck! 

ReplyQuote
 Bert
(@bert)
15/09/2020 1:47 pm  

@maxgravy

Wow, that's wild you moved from Sacramento. Such a small world. I wish I could leave next year but not quite. The heat in Sacramento is getting to be way too much for me. I will try reaching out to Ei! again. Tchau.

ReplyQuote
 MaxG
(@maxgravy)
15/09/2020 2:47 pm  

@bert

Small world! It's hot here as well but we're finally cooling down. Good luck with your prep work. I should also mention that it can take some time to get an appointment for a background check. The FBI currently has a 12-week wait. We decided to use IdentoGo. We only have to wait two weeks for the appointment which for us will be next week. I believe the background check is only valid for 90 days so timing is critical. 

ReplyQuote
 Bert
(@bert)
15/09/2020 3:57 pm  

@maxgravy Yes, good information. I was wondering about the background check. I have had multiple background checks and fingerprints done for the FBI as I am a health care provider so don't know that would prove to in anyway be shorter for me as a result. 

ReplyQuote
(@bigdhombre)
15/09/2020 4:00 pm  

@maxgravy

Thanks, good info about this and the background check time frame. Am hoping to move from DFW in the next ~6 months - fortunately the Texas heat shut off about a week ago and it's only in the upper 80s. Hope you are enjoying life over there

ReplyQuote
 MaxG
(@maxgravy)
16/09/2020 12:25 pm  

FedEx now says they lost the package. It arrived in Lisbon 8 days ago and according to tracking has never left the destination facility. So now we will need to get 17 documents notarized again, and send them again. Never again FedEx! Unfortunately the nearest DHL drop off is an hour away from us. I'm pretty bummed out about this. This will cause a 2-week delay in our visa process. Did I mention we're selling our house? We'll be homeless long before we get the visa. 

ReplyQuote
 Bert
(@bert)
16/09/2020 1:27 pm  

@maxgravy

So sorry for your trouble Max. In the end it will all work out. On the bright side this is good preparation for Portugal. Nothing there happens as quickly as Americans are used to or think it should. I do sympathize with you though as I had an experience of ordering a few books from Lidel in Portugal this year and they took 2 months to get here. I had to check the post several times etc. 

ReplyQuote
 MaxG
(@maxgravy)
16/09/2020 5:32 pm  

Here's a tip. Use DHL instead of FedEx to send documents to Portugal. Fedex cost $74 and took a week the first time. The second time they lost the package. 

I just sent new copies by DHL. It would have cost $42 but for $60 they guaranteed 2-day delivery before noon. 

ReplyQuote
(@bigdhombre)
16/09/2020 6:40 pm  

@maxgravy

Man that sucks about the FedEx package! I hope the DHL service works. 

I don't have any particular knowledge to share since I'm just starting, but I've been noting YouTube channels (in addition to Expats Portugal) where people are sharing their experience with relocating, in case it's of interest to anyone:

Expats Everywhere

Our Rich Journey

Adventures of an American Xpat In the Algarve

Driven Spice

ReplyQuote
 MaxG
(@maxgravy)
16/09/2020 7:44 pm  

@bigdhombre

Our Rich Journey is excellent! Love that house they bought. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online