Internet shopping from the UK – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

EI Banner

Internet shopping from the UK

Crow
Community Member
Topic starter
(@crow)

Hello - is anyone clear on what taxes/ import or customs duties one has to pay when receiving goods bought from the UK on the web?  I think it's time I found out.  I've heard rumours that it can be tricky and/or expensive?  Many thanks.

6 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

Hi there

Firstly, it depends on the delivery company in Portugal.  CTT will charge €12 customs handling, and then whatever the fee happens to be, which varies based on value, category, etc.  For example, €35 shoes recently cost more or less €10 in duty, then €12 in handling, for a friend.  So, €57 shoes!

Personally, I would avoid buying or having anything posted over from the UK at present.  Perhaps things will change/improve, but for the moment, it's too slow and costly.  A surprising range of things can be sourced from Ireland, Spain, etc so it may be worth shopping around...

2 Replies
 Crow
Community Member
(@crow)

@thomasandmatthew

Yes, many thanks for that.  It's a tough one, but I'm just going to have to learn to live without the UK, or else go back there 😝 ! 

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

@crow I recommend living without it 😉 life is less stressful that way!

bife
VIP Member
(@bife)
Reputable Member

https://expatsportugal.com/community/miscellaneous/post-brexit-package-from-uk-extra-customs-costs/#post-182847

I dont miss much at all from the UK these days, but generally for pretty much everything that isnt a meal or wine the prices are generally (sometimes much) higher for lower quality and less selection in Portugal, and the service is lacking, so its a pain!

Hopefully, it will sort itself out and the PT carriers will stop making a quick killing on this.

If its something big and you have a UK address then I would recommend getting it sent to UK address and then using Transportugal who are great

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

Try amazon.es (Spain) or amazon.de (Germany). You cannot use prime from Portugal anymore (even though they offer it constantly) BUT, if you order at lest 29 euro worth of goods, you get free shipping. It takes longer than 2 days but Free is a good deal for shipping. On the page where you enter your address there is a place where you can put more detailed directions or GPS location. Once the delivery people get to know where you are, delivery will get better and faster. 

Good Luck, @peggyL

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Trusted Member

I have been lucky, I just received a 7kg parcel from UK from a friend, used parcelhero, cost just £20 for DPD, took a week, and had to complete a simple online form of contents, where I wrote some simplistic stuff, gave a 35 euro value, and done.
I was never asked any invoices or anything. I neither paid any fees here in Portugal.

I also ordered a parcel from iherb.com (massive US online shop for vitamins, shampoos, etc, health products), and paid there some small duty fee (something like $10 on a $100 order), and it came here 2 weeks later with free delivery and nothing to pay extra!

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online