Introduction and advice required – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Introduction and advice required

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@markinmalta)

Hi

I'm Mark, a British citizen resident in Malta. I'm looking to move to Portugal in the next 6 months. My question is am I able to apply for the temporary and/or D7 in Portugal or do I have to apply before moving. The issue I have is that the Portuguese embassy for Malta is based in Rome and it seems an unnecessary trip for a short meeting. Any related advice welcome!

Topic Tags
6 Replies

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)
Estimable Member

Hi Mark, 

We're from the US and our Portuguese embassy was in Washington DC. We were able to do everything through the mail. It's my understanding that you must be in your country of residence when you apply, not Portugal. 

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@markinmalta)

@maxgravy Thanks for that. Yes I thought that was case. Unfortunately there is no embassy in Malta, the nearest one is in Rome, but they want us to go there in person

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Estimable Member

@markinmalta I've visited Rome a couple times. It's an amazing city. I can think of worse places. Shouldn't be too long of a flight. What matters most?

Premium Member
(@markinmalta)

@maxgravy I don't disagree with that, its a beautiful city. I was just hoping for an easier and cheaper way to apply 🙂 
If its the only option though then of course thats what i'll have to do

Community Member
(@dolfandoug)
Eminent Member

Curious why you are leaving Malta?  I've heard good things and it was on my radar as a possible future home.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@markinmalta)

@dolfandoug Sorry for the late reply. Malta is a nice place to live, we've been here 6 years and had a great time. Property prices are quite steep but other than that its a relatively cheap place to live. We just fancied a change and somewhere with a bit more countryside to visit.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online