Introduction: Hello from Missouri, USA – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Introduction: Hello from Missouri, USA

5 Posts
3 Users
18 Likes
Premium Plus member
Topic starter
(@aclinemissouristate-edu)

My wife, Lola, and I are glad to have found ExpatsPortugal. I'll be an active participant here while we plan our move.

We've visited Portugal before and found the people and the place charming. It's always been our goal to spend at least some portion of my retirement outside the US. I say "my" retirement because my wife will continue as a remote, freelance writer working for medical trade journals. I teach journalism and documentary filmmaking. I make doc films and plan to continue doing that following retirement.

We'll be in Portugal for about three weeks starting in late May '22 for a scouting trip. If all goes as planned (i.e. we settle on a city/neighborhood), we'll move sometime between 1 June and 1 September '23. During the scouting trip we'll be visiting Porto, Coimbra, and Figueira da Foz. 

We're urban people. We've been long-time residents of, and loft dwellers in, the city center of Springfield, Missouri. We hope to "go one better" on our preferred lifestyle in Portugal. Actually, we're hoping to "go one better" on a lot of things, but those can wait for later discussions 🙂

We're happy to be here and looking forward to the help and offering our help as we learn.

--Andy

Topic Tags
4 Replies
Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Also from Missouri we sold our farm an hour north of Kansas City mo a few months ago and hope to have our new home in Portugal purchased in December.

2 Replies
Premium Plus member
(@aclinemissouristate-edu)

Excellent! I hope you find what you want and that the move goes smoothly.

So, any chance you're going to be in the ag/farm business in Portugal? I'm asking because my daughter and her fiancé are also considering the move to Portugal. They currently own a small ag business called Green Future Cultivators -- specializing in microgreens -- and sell at several farmer's markets and to restaurants. They've been wondering about what the ag opportunities might be.

Thanks for the reply! Good to see another Missourian here 🙂

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

@aclinemissouristate-edu no business ventures for me just an early retirement

Premium Plus member
(@susan-marie)

@aclinemissouristate-edu Welcome and how wonderful for you and your wife!  Leif and I will be making the move as well in May 2022.  Visited Portugal in 2019 and fell deeply in love.  I am from Minnesota and my husband for North Carolina although we have lived through the US stationed with military.  Agina congratulations!

Susan & Leif

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal