Lisbon Neighborhoods! – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Serenity Banner

Lisbon Neighborhoods!

25 Posts
7 Users
25 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@catherinesadlerandbrand-com)

Hi Everyone, 

Hello from Los Angeles! I am relatively new to the forum. Thank you all for your contributions. So helpful! We are visiting in mid-October to select our neighborhood in Lisbon.  Using a number of the resources listed here. We are looking to purchase an apartment in a new development and are exploring ones in Estrela, Lapa, and closer to Principe Real. Would love to know which areas you recommend - including others! We will be working remotely, in our 60s, love food, music, art, travel. And looking forward to meeting some of you in person once we have relocated. Best, Catherine

24 Replies

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)
Illustrious Member

Hi Catherine and welcome to the forums!

We are from SoCal and moved to Lisbon last year. We have been walking the city exhaustively, for the last seven months. We are more than happy to share our experience. We also have an extensive list of resources we use for exploring the city. 

We live right on the border of Arroios and Penha da Franca on Rua Herois de Quionga.

We have friends in the areas you mentioned and we just all met up at Jardim da Parada to share what we all think of our neighborhoods.

Walking the city extensively in our view is the only true way to get to know the neighborhoods. Each street can have a completely different vibe. We were lucky to land this apartment with just a video from our agent Casa Portuguesa | Expats Portugal 

We have to inform our landlord, if we are leaving at the end of the lease, by the end of this month. We are leaning toward not leaving due to the advantages we find in living in this neighborhood. 

Kind Regards,

Trevor & Shannon

5 Replies
Premium Member

@jonesdn2020 thank you Trevor and Shannon.

We have a friend who is looking in Penha. Did any of your friends provide insights re their neighborhoods? We absolutely will be walking each neighborhood - with pleasure!! We were originally going to travel during the trip, but decided to stay in Lisbon to do just that. Speaking to Casa Portuguesa tomorrow, highly recommended by someone who has just bought a place in Sintra - though I've been on the hunt for a while independently. Just hard given the lack of buyer's agents and need to go from one seller's agent to the next. Clearly a great idea on Casa Portuguesa's part!

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@catherinesadlerandbrand-com 

We know how hard it is in immigrating and just want to help in any way we can. We had so much assistance from members here and it really lowered our blood pressure.

Yes, I talked with Dan who is in Estrela now after getting sick of the plane noise in Campo de Ourique. The issue in this area is the street noise (trams included) and lack of access to the metro. Not for long since they are extending the yellow line right through there so years of construction noise.

If you are looking to purchase, then do share on this forum since there are experienced locals and expats. We are actively discussing the construction issues here and other factors.

We were recently talked out of buying by an agent. When we sold our home in Huntington Beach, we swore we would never buy again but quickly got caught up in the Lisbon fever.

If you need us to assess a property location, we get around the town several times a week. We just returned from Avenidas Novas to do some shopping.

Premium Member

@jonesdn2020 Love to know why you were talked out of buying.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

So they told us they would not work with us unless our budget was 300,000 minimum since that is their opinion of the requirement to get a decent place in Lisbon.

We had been looking at 200,000 and using all cash. 

If you want to get a mortgage you will have to put on average 40% overall out of pocket.

We were glossing over the construction issues in Portugal since we had Lisbon fever. It was explained to us that anything built prior to 2010 is subject at best to having varying issues.

When we finally came to terms with the fact that the construction issues and fiscal outlay was overall cost prohibitive we decided to keep renting our lovely apartment.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

When we first got to Lisbon, we did not spend the time to stroll slowly and take in 360 degrees of a spot. Now that we have completed 500 miles of walking in Lisbon, we have figured out how to accomplish that.

We continue to find streets and building architecture that are stunning. This happened again yesterday on a stroll we had not taken before. It was simply one street over from areas we had walked previously.

This reminded us of the mistake we made when we purchased our house in Huntington Beach. We were spending weekends traveling the area from our home in the El Segundo area. We should have rented in Huntington Beach for a year prior to purchasing. 

Premium Member
(@2533vlsgmail-com)

Hi Catherine - welcome!  I moved to Lisbon from Southern CA on May 30.  I spent the month of March here in Lisbon when I was still working and in my off-hours did a lot of exploring and found the apartment that I'm living in.  It is in the Avenidas Novas area and I love it and highly recommend it. I don't have a car so everything that I do is on foot (occasionally I take a bus or Uber) and I'm close to everything that I need on a daily basis.  One of the best things is that I'm across the street from the Gulbenkian Museum - which also has a venue for concerts.  I've attended a couple and absolutely love going - and tickets are incredibly reasonable.  I agree with Trevor and Shannon - walking is the way to get to know Lisbon.  I've seen so many areas that I'd be happy to live in - but very happy where I am and have a two-year lease.  

Would love to meet up with you when you arrive - the number of CA expats keeps growing!

Regards, 

Vicki Searcy

12 Replies
Premium Member

@2533vlsgmail-com thank you. We are originally from NYC and so are walkers too. We will absolutely be checking out that area too. how lovely to wak across the street to the museum and to concerts!! best, Catherine

Premium Member
(@dance)

@2533vlsgmail-com Hi Vicki, Great to hear that you enjoying Avenida's Novas area. We visited Lisbon in May and was staying in Saldana for 10 days and like it a lot. It was very convenient with a lot of amenities around. The Gulbenkian Museum was very nice and only  one block from us. Then we got Covid and it’s kind of mess up all our plans. We would love to find nice 2-3 bedroom apartment for rent in that area. What are the price range for that is now? Can you recommend realtor that you worked with? I would be really appreciated.We will be coming to Lisbon and of October for another scouting trip and if you have some time to meet us for coffee and chat it would be great. You can PM me as well.

Regards, Mila and Steve.

Premium Member
(@2533vlsgmail-com)

@dance I also stayed in the Saldanha area when I first visited Portugal last September (Hilton Doubletree).  I loved the area and the amenities and came back and stayed for a month in March which is when I found my apartment through Idealista.  They have an app which I used and checked constantly.  You can filter by your requirements related to location, size, price, whether or not there is a lift, air conditioning, etc.  When I looked in March, I saw apartments ranging from €1600 to €2750.  But my requirements included a lift and air conditioning - and two bedrooms and two bathrooms - which definitely leads to higher prices.  I would suggest that you access that app and start looking. I didn't work with a specific realtor - you work with the one that has listed the apartment.  I also am working with Ei on my immigration and am actually leaving for the US tomorrow to send my passport to the San Francisco Consulate since my application for a D7 Visa was approved last week.  If you work with Ei, there is a service where they assist you in finding an apartment and I would certainly have done that if I hadn't found one on my own.  They did assist me with review of the lease prior to me signing it.

I will be available for a meet up anytime after October 24 (have my daughter and son-in-law visiting for a couple of weeks in October).  Would love to have coffee and a chat.  Just let me know if that timeframe works for you.

Cheers - Vicki

Premium Member
(@dance)

@2533vlsgmail-com Hi Vicki, Thank you so much for your reply and detailed explanation of how you found your apartment. It will be very useful example for us. We in a process of looking for tickets for the end of October. What is the best way to contact you when we are in Lisbon? Do you have a WhatsApp number that I can send you a message? It would be great to meet you there if you have time.

Best, Mila and Steve.

Premium Member
(@2533vlsgmail-com)

@dance Mila and Steve - I am on WhatsApp.  My Portugal number is 912 268 415 and you can message me that way.  Love to meet up with you.  I absolutely love it here in Lisbon.  Moving here was a great decision for me.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@dance 

We have some picture of our place here. We started off looking in Saldanha but choose this apartment on the border of Penha de Franca and Arroios. The street name is on the album description. We are a few minute walk from Saldanha. 

We used Casa Portuguesa | Expats Portugal since we did everything from the US. We sent them our findings and they sent us theirs.

We have learned the tricks on using idealista. We also used other realtor sites like ReMax and Century21.

Ultimately, it was Joanna at Casa Portuguesa that found and landed us this apartment. We will probably stay here for several years.

What dates in October are you staying in Lisbon?

Premium Member
(@2533vlsgmail-com)

@jonesdn2020 Your apartment looks fantastic!  Would love to meet up with you when I get back from the US.  I haven't been walking too much lately since I came down with Covid at the end of July (despite having been vaccinated with two boosters).  But much better now and looking forward to my trip to the US, seeing my family and returning to Lisbon with my passport in hand.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@2533vlsgmail-com 

Thank you. Yes, we certainly look forward to a meetup and are in your area a couple of times a week. 

Glad you are feeling better! 

Enjoy the family. We enjoyed visiting with family when we returned in March to get our D7. Now they are starting to come here beginning in October. 

Premium Member
(@dance)

@jonesdn2020 Your apartment looks great! Glad you are happy there. We still in the process of checking flights and it will be after the October 22nd. What is the best way to contact you when we are in Lisbon? 

Best, Mila and Steve

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@dance We will send you a DM with our PT cell number.

Premium Member
(@____teej____)

@jonesdn2020 I agree with Vicki, your apartment is the dream we all seek. Thanks for sharing!

Premium Member
(@____teej____)

@2533vlsgmail-com Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hope you’re feeling better!

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Hi @catherinesadlerandbrand-com, welcome to the forum.

You'll see, and probably already noticed, there's plenty of info here, and people ready to help out.

Hope your visit to Lisbon goes well.

3 Replies
Premium Member

@antonio_f thank you, I'll keep digging and appreciate the quick response. thank you!

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

We lived just south of LAX so noise was a major concern for us with the Lisbon airport being where it is. We use this site to track the airplane and road noise in areas. It is not 100% accurate but we find it a good guide.

We are really happy with the noise level in our area. 

Premium Member

@jonesdn2020 Super cool site! Thanks!!

Sui
Community Member
(@sui)

All of this  is really helpful for me who's coming in from Southern California. Thanks

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal