moving to Portugal – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

moving to Portugal

DvB
Community Member
Topic starter
(@dvb)

We're planning to have our household goods shipped from Canada to Portugal by a mover.

I read something about having the paperwork/list of goods translated in Portuguese and stamped at the Embassy ? is this (still) required, when all the paperwork in English?  
If required, is it customary that the mover will take care of that ?
thank you for your guidance,

7 Replies

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

I'd like clarification on this as well. We plan to go back to the states this winter and have a pallet or two shipped over. 

VIP Member
(@tartntiny)
Trusted Member

@dvb I moved here from Canada in 2013 and used an international moving company.  Unless something has changed since then, I didn't have to have anything translated into Portuguese or deal with the embassy to move my things.  

I did have to provide an itemised list with the numbers of the boxes and contents of each one.  The mover handled all paperwork and this was included in the cost.  When it arrived in Portugal we just went to pick up the container, I paid on site the previously agreed cost and that was it.  

Are you already dealing with a mover? 

2 Replies
 DvB
Community Member
(@dvb)

@tartntiny Hi Tania - thank you for your reaction and info, all understood.

The way you describe is the way it should be.. we had a similar experience when we moved from  Europe across the Atlantic 🙂  
We did not talk to anyone yet so if you can recommend one I love to hear.
Thank you so much and kind regards Dick

VIP Member
(@tartntiny)

Trusted Member

@dvb Hi,

I think I had first contacted CWT Globelink, my Uncle had seen it on his way to work or met a guy who worked there, I can't remember.  Then I was also dealing with Gillship Navigation in Canada. 

I found one old email now from Globelink telling me they had arranged a 'full package service' for me in Canada. After that I was dealing a lot with Gillship from Vancouver.  (I lived in Winnipeg).  They had a local mover come for my things and store them until it was time to be shipped to Montreal to Globelink warehouse.  It went by ship to Barcelona and then trucked to Lisbon, they said it was cheaper to do that route rather than having it shipped direct to Lisbon.  They offered delivery to the house as well but my uncle had a work truck that was big enough to get my pallet.  

Gillship Navigation Inc.

CWT Globelink Singapore - In Unity, We Link The Globe (globelinkportugal.com)  this website appears to be useless...but they are still around.  

Anyway, I had no issues at all, nothing arrived broken and it was a stress free experience.  

Tania

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)
Estimable Member

We are going to ship our goods from the US this winter. To do so and be exempt from paying any export taxes, we are required to obtain a baggage certificate that is requested at the consulate. For the cars it is necessary a separate baggage certificate request. All these certificates would need to be forwarded to a shipping company. 

Any international shipping company can create a list of items to be shipped. This list can be provided to the consulate in order to obtain the certificates. 

Both certificate can be requested before CEF appointment, just right after receiving a visa, but the container should be shipped only after you get your residency permit at CEF.

Goods can be shipped no later than 12 month after a residency permit is issued (aka your CEF appointment).

2 Replies
 DvB
Community Member
(@dvb)

@tdn thank you for your detailed info. Highly appreciated.

Being EU passport holder and moving from Canada I need to check what is applicable to us and if any exceptions or not 🤔

Thank you and regards Dick

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@dvb

yes, seems like your situation is different from ours. Hope, you find needed answers.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online