Moving to Portugal in September – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Moving to Portugal in September

Anonymous
Topic starter

What is the best advice anyone can give me regarding moving my things to Portugal from New York City?  Will not be moving my furniture, just clothes and miscellaneous items.  What does everyone bring when moving?  Just curious 😀 

23 Replies
3 Replies
Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @juliejules

What is the best advice anyone can give me regarding moving my things to Portugal from New York City?  Will not be moving my furniture, just clothes and miscellaneous items.  What does everyone bring when moving?  Just curious 😀 

Clothing, Laptop(s), Camera(s), a set of sheets for the bed and a pillow. Other than that it will all be purchased in Portugal.

Sold House, Car and had an Estate Sale to liquidate 30yrs of "stuff".  It has been a refreshing experience and i'm so excited to start the new journey.  See you all there!

Anonymous

@misticjeff thank you for your great help and information!  I plan on selling my Co-op in New York City and having a sale of my furniture etc.  It was very helpful to hear you say to bring your bedding with pillows!  Thank you again. Julie

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @juliejules

@misticjeff It was very helpful to hear you say to bring your bedding with pillows!  Thank you again. Julie

I figure the pillow(s) will be my little slice of the home country to bring with!

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

We just packed all our clothes, bedding, laptops, etc.. and checked them in on our flight. Excess baggage fees can be much cheaper than shipping.  We found buying other items in Portugal to be much more reasonable than shipping.  

1 Reply
 Anonymous

@jonesdn2020 all of that is very important and good to know beforehand! Thank you!

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)
Estimable Member

Bringing: A dutch oven, clothes, a few good knives, and a bowling ball.

4 Replies
 Anonymous

@ralf sounds good to me!

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Estimable Member

@juliejules My wife and I just plan on keeping it simple. We are trying to move to Portugal with very little. But we have the luxury of being able to store some things with family here in Alaska. I was surprised how expensive some clothing was in Portugal, so I have bought lots of Blue Jeans recently as they were like 120 Euros in Caldas when I last visited. Maybe that was a fluke, but certain clothing is very expensive in Portugal. Jeans seems to be one of those and I like my blue jeans. We want to help out the economy of the community we land in, so we will buy stuff as needed to maintain our property. Exciting times!

Anonymous

@ralf thank you for the update on the cost of jeans.  They most certainly are my staple.  I have a lot of clothes to sift through, and will be selling all of my furniture, and of course selling my apartment here in New York City.  Cannot wait to leave!  Exciting times as you say!  Have many things to do before I can leave, the D7 visa, etc.  Thank you for your wonderful information! 😀 Julie

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@juliejules I always read that they're expensive but it may come down to wear you shop. When I visited the Algarve right before the pandemic, I bought jeans in a mall and they weren't expensive at all.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Reputable Member

For me, I'm bringing clothes, my computers, and my cats.

For the wife, she's bringing a bit more, including some keepsakes.

For the rest of it, we're giving it away, selling it, etc. We also bought a shed for our brother-in-law with the condition that we could keep some stuff in there for a year as we plan on returning multiple times over the year and will be bring stuff from the shed back with us on the plane.

Keep in mind it's a wonderful thing to have to have the opportunity to purge all the unnecessary _stuff_ from your life and get away from some of the materialistic aspects of our lives.

Whatever happens, though, enjoy that journey!

9 Replies
 Anonymous

@hank_2021 that’s good you are taking trips back and forth to bring more of your things to Portugal!  Seems seamless. 😀

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Reputable Member

@juliejules You know, the priviledge of being able to do this unusual thing that we are all pursuing, that is to live amongst such amazing people as the Portuguese, makes all the individual details just so trivial.

We are all here with this shared dream of doing something that most people would call crazy.

All the details are just that, details. Nothing but love and respect for the wonderful weirdo's who are taking a path not often traveled.

We can do this, and the minor annoyances won't stop us.

Anonymous

@hank_2021 Hank how true you are!  Many have called me strong and why am I doing this trip and journey?  I just say it is another step in the right direction of my life.  New York City has become too dangerous to live in, and a change is necessary now! Yes and the minor annoyances won’t stop us ever‼️ So true you are‼️

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Reputable Member

@juliejules Hi Julie, we look forward to meeting you in Portugal!

Anonymous

@hank_2021 thank you so much Hank!  I do look forward to meeting you all in Portugal too 😀

Premium Member
(@nekos318)

@juliejules When are you moving? I'm in NY too but upstate in Kingston. I'm planning on moving next January.

Anonymous

@nekos318 hello fellow NYer I plan on moving if all goes well in September.  Am looking at Algarve region.  Have picked out several places to rent for a year then will buy property.  We should stay in touch!

Premium Plus member
(@vitac-love)

@hank_2021 

I have a similiar plan to return and make trips to/from. Already living a life without lots of material things and find it very liberating. So would plan to take only a few large suitcases when all said and done. No furniture, no large items in general. I think one of the hardest decisions is parting with beloved books.

Anonymous

@vitac-love yes that is what I plan to do is take my clothes and little items.  Really do not know how I am going to fit all of my clothes into my suitcases but will get it done. Parting without my beautiful furniture I have collected over the years is going to be really hard to leave behind.

Premium Plus member
(@vitac-love)

I can appreciate curating a collection of beloved art and furniture. Maybe sharing a container with someone who is also coming over? I haven't looked into it myself but I know others have...could be an option for those really special items.

I'm glad to be a part of this group and look forward to making in person connections. Many of my friends support me, but really don't understand-echoing what Hank said about us "wonderful weirdos". 🙂 I am arriving in June (from California) to start of my research trip and look for a lease. Seems far away now but everyday I get more excited!

2 Replies
 Anonymous

@vitac-love that’s really a great point!  I am originally from Southern CA moved to NYC after college.  It really is not the same, so I decided myself to move to Portugal and my friends and family think I am crazy 😜 but it is what I want to do.  Glad you are coming out and doing your research trip, it will be a success!  Am arriving in September, as have to do some touch ups on my 1910 building Co-op apartment, and of course there is the matter of the D7 Visa.  It’s all a step by step process.  Yes making in-person connections is really what it is all about!

Premium Plus member
(@hapie3)

Trusted Member

@vitac-love 

Hi All, 

I am of a similar mind to bring my belongings on the plane.  However, I do have some artwork (mostly sentimental not valuable necessarily) that I really would like to bring.  I haven't found a way to bring this as it is fragile and don't think cargo is a way to go.  But I do not have enough for a shipping container.  

Any suggestions for shipping items like this (framed art ranging in size from 20"x36" and down)?  I do not have a lot, only a few items.

-Heather

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online