New Member Cumprimentos! – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
New Member Cumprime...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

New Member Cumprimentos!  

RSS

Bert
(@bert)
New Member Community Member
28/05/2020 6:02 pm  

Hello,

My name is Roberta and I currently live in Sacramento, California. I have great hopes of relocating part time and/or full time in retirement to Portugal in about 2 years. I am of 100% Portuguese decent. Both of my grandfathers emigrated to California from Madeira and Sao Jorge. I am doing my behind the scenes work right now hoping this forum will help me connect with the resources I need for further answers. I am hoping to apply for dual citizenship at some point as is allowed due to my grandfathers, but of course need to take the test first. I have been to Portugal several times and know that areas from central Portugal North are right for me. I actually love the snow, so who knows, maybe Serra da Estrela could be a possibility. I love Porto and Coimbra. My trip this year has been cancelled due to the covid 19 virus.

Anyway, at this point would like to know if anyone has any good resources for international tax accountants. Am very interested to find out what are the potential tax consequences for me based on a variety of living scenarios in Portugal and haven't found a good source here at home yet. 

Also have questions regarding health care, I understand as a legal resident I can get Portuguese health care and may purchase a private policy in addition. I also read that this can be done through a bank? Also that if one is over 60 you cannot go through a bank. Anyone, have a good answer or resource? Any US citizen expats out there who are using both Medicare and the Portuguese health system? 

And last am considering buying a home in Portugal but need to speak with a local realtor or someone who can discuss with me in more detail the process, fees, insurance etc. 

Look forward to your replies.

Muito obrigada.

Tchau. Roberta

(@gerry)
Estimable Member Admin
29/05/2020 11:39 am  

Hello Roberta and a very warm welcome.

I wish you every success in your efforts for duel citizenship and meanwhile, I can respond on your other points as follows;

In terms of financial planning and tax advice, I would recommend you speak with one of our sponsors Blevins Franks. I will send you a private message with an email address. Also, there is quite a lot of information on this subject under our Life in Portugal and the Blog sections of our site and probably worth a quick read through.

Regarding healthcare, again there is some information under our Life in Portugal section. Yes, you can purchase private healthcare insurance and you can 'mix & match' between the state system and the private system. The cost of insurance schemes here is much less than the cost in USA. I will send you some contact information in my private message.

Lastly, regarding real estate. Yet again (would you believe!), we have some general information on our site. Click on this link:

https://expatsportugal.com/real-estate/buying-a-house-in-portugal/

In order for our members to recommend a local realtor, can you give us an indication of your preferred town to start your search.

Kind regards

Gerry  

ReplyQuote
(@peterfc)
Famed Member VIP Member
29/05/2020 7:36 pm  

Hi Roberto

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry i can't answer your questions but i am sure it won't take long and you will get the answers you need.

Peter

ReplyQuote

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online