New member from Canada – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

New member from Canada

Community Member
Topic starter
(@suz)

Hello all!

I am Canadian and we live in Ontario.  I am soon to be a Hungarian citizen as well hopefully and my husband is also Canadian as well as British.  We are looking to buy property in Portugal to live half time. Hopefully we can rent the property when we are not using it.  Looking in and around Lisbon as I'm more into the culture, food, historical sites and vibes of a larger city. We just don't know what area(s) to focus on. Any suggestions?  Also would you recommend using a buyers agent (flat rate to select and see properties on my behalf until I can get there).  Thank you and hope everyone is safe and well!

Suzanne

3 Replies

Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Suzanne,

Welcome to the site and thank you for introducing yourself.

I live on the outskirts of Lisbon and have been looking to buy an investment closer to the old part of Lisbon.

What kind of lifestyle do you wish for? Do you have kids/schools to consider? Are you okay with apartments?

At first I started looking for places on my own and struggled to get any feedback from real estate agents... perhaps my Portuguese wasn't great so it made it difficult.

I then got a buyers agent involved and it changed everything. They were so organised, took my brief and found places that fit. I can recommend if you want... I know two I can put you in contact with.

Also, if you are starting your search before you get here, they can do the ground work for you.

Both speak English... in fact both are from Australia like me but do speak better Portuguese.

Astrid

Community Member
Topic starter
(@suz)

Hi Astrid, nice to meet you!

We do have children, but they are 18 and 16.  We would be looking for an apartment for us to stay in the winters starting when the younger ones are in university.  Also a place where the kids can go to in the summer should they wish.  As for lifestyle, I picture being in the heart of a city, looking out my terrace or balcony of the comings and goings, walking to restaurants and cafes and being able to enjoy museums and parks.  Does that make sense?

Thanks for the input on the buyers agent.  I have been in touch with someone from Housesmart and she seems well informed.  I just want to make sure they are legit and really know their stuff lol.  It's hard doing this from so far away and especially now when we cannot travel.  But the time  at home provides me with an opportunity to research so that when we can go to Portugal, we don't waste our time.

Which areas are you looking for an investment property?

Suzanne

Admin
(@lincolnbaggie)
Trusted Member

Hi Suzanne 🖐️ 

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online