New Members Update 28/06/2020 – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Ei! Migration Banner

New Members Update 28/06/2020  

Page 1 / 2

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member
8 Replies
Premium Member
(@private-exclusive-services)

Thank you @Gerry 🙂 

Community Member
(@explorador)

Greetings,

I am currently in the Seattle WA area am in the process of obtaining my visa, but I need to get back to Porto Portugal to lease an apartment and complete my papaerwork to get this process started.  I to have an agent that is helping me obtain my visa.

My goal is to return in the September to October time frame to get this completed.  But for now we are waiting fothe USA  to clean up their Covid 19 act and then travel will be allowed.

Always interested in the news surrounding this lock down situation.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@peggyl)

Trusted Member

@explorador We hope to welcome you to Portugal soon. Doesn't look like the EU wants Americans right now. I am curious, why did you choose an agent to help you get your VISA? I don't know when you are planning to move or if you are shipping your household goods. We used an international mover out of Seattle and if I show you the pictures of the furniture when it arrived here, I will not have to say a word or give an opinion. Needless to say, our belongings and furniture must have been drug behind the ship rather than be ON the ship. And they "LOST" 43 of 400 boxes.  Also, you might be interested in, the overseas moving insurance that we choose. It was inadequate, to say the least. We had $10,000 of

insurance and they offered to settle for $1,600. Page after page of loopholes in the contract. I only hope to spare you the grief we experienced. 

Peggy & Dave

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi Explorador

Welcome to the Forum

I hope you are a fan of Jimi?

I am sure any questions can be answered so hurry over and start enjoying a better life.

Peter

2 Replies
Community Member
(@explorador)

@peterfc

We went for a two month vacation in Portugal in October and November of 2019.  We visited the Azores, Coimbra, Peres, Generes, Lisbon and spent one Month at an Airbnb in Porto.  We thought Porto was a best fit for us due the size and the polite and traditional culture.

Now during this trip a friend of ours introduced us to Gail Augir who is in the visa businesss and is well know.  Gail, helped us to obtain our Tax Id and bank account.

We had a face to face meeting with her and her business partner.  They also help with fininding apartments in Porto and the surrounding areas.  They are very well connected.

So now we are simply waiting to go back and obtain a lease, and have Gail assist in completing all of our visa documents.  Right now the Embassy is completing visa applications from last February.  Now Gail will take our application and translate it into Portugues.  Gail's arerage process time to the time a visa is delivered is about 4 weeks.  

That is why we are using an agent.  Quality, expertice and very organized.

We will not ship really anything except a few items.  Our intenetion is to purchase all new items in Porto.  We are even going to give our cars away.  We like to walk about 15 miles a week. If you could recommend a contractor we may ship instead of pack in a suitecase that would be great.

Rachel and I both speak Italian and I speak German.  I went to highschool in Wiesbaden Germany and I have cousins in Graz, Austria.  We intend on going to the local University or any other quality learnng group in Porto.  My expectation is to speak good Portuguese in two years.  Languages are my hobbie!

Please get back to me.  It will be nice to have more friend that can provide their advice.  If there is a committe that you thing I would be an asset to let me know.

Ray Edmonds

Community Member
(@peggyl)

Trusted Member

@explorador  You will find a lot of German's here also. There is a wonderful restaurant owned by a lovely German woman who akes fantastic food. It is here in the Algarve so if you ever plan to get down this way touch base with me and I'll give you the highlights and directions. It is just a few Ks east of Silves. 

Community Member
(@explorador)

Thanks for your help.

The Covid virus is just a mess here in the States.

it will take 2 months to see where and when we ca go.

All the best to you and your family

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online