Newbie here - from USA – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Newbie here - from USA

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@dolfandoug)
Eminent Member

Bom dia! My name is Doug and I live in Alabama in the USA. 50+ in age, not retired yet. 

My wife and I visited mainland Portugal in 2018 and fell in love with it. We started in Lisbon and headed South to the Algarve including a stop in Zambujeira do Mar for the MEO Festival.

We visited Terceira in the Azores in 2019. We enjoyed it and would like to visit Sao Miguel next time we go to the Azores.

Had a fantastic trip to Spain and Portugal planned for 2020 (Douro Valley/Porto mainly) but you know the rest of the story. 

Seriously considering an eventual move to Portugal. We need to visit more first and unfortunately that is on hold until maybe 2022 or late 2021.

18 Replies

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)
Trusted Member

Welcome @dolfandoug , lots of good information and great people here.  I currently live in NC and considering a move to Portugal.  We have our first trip planned for September to investigate a few areas.

Get all your questions answered.  Good luck in your Journey.....

6 Replies
Community Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@livinginusa. Would any USA members on the Forum be willing to share their thoughts (and plans) on what they intend to do after their 10 year NHR period expires and they are subject to standard PT tax rates?  Would you return to the USA or do you think that the quality of life and health care benefit make it worthwhile to stay on in PT even without the NHR status?

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Trusted Member

@jeanne Great question but difficult for me to answer right now not having a first-hand understanding of what life in PT is actually like.  Hypothetically speaking, if life in PT is in line with my lifestyle, I could see myself living there past the NHR period.

There are plenty other ExPats on this Forum that must be nearing the NHR 10 year expiration......I look forward to their thoughts.  

Who knows, maybe PT will find it to be beneficial to extend the NHR situation in the future.......

Community Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@livinginusa. I worked in other EU countries for years and paid the hefty taxes, but being retired will be different, relying solely  on investment/ pension etc accounts and not having earned income to supplement it. Americans are at somewhat of a disadvantage when it comes to the NHR because they still have to pay their American taxes in full during the NHR period, unlike citizens of some other countries, who can escape paying some tax in their country of origin while they are tax- resident in PT and under NHR.

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Trusted Member

@jeanne Thanks for your insight!

Community Member
(@dolfandoug)

Eminent Member

@jeanne

https://brighttax.com/blog/the-american-foreign-tax-credit-everything-you-need-to-know/

It appears if I am reading this correctly for every dollar in taxes you pay in Portugal you get a dollar tax credit in the USA.

Community Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@dolfandoug  yes, you get a credit, but you do have to pay the higher PT amount in the first place. You can only carry those credits forward for ten years.  Whether that works out for you depends on how long you stay (pay tax) in PT, and when and if you ever return to the USA (and stop paying PT tax and start consuming the credit you've built up). Depending on your taxable income in both countries, that may work out to a positive or a negative in the long run.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@dolfandoug)
Eminent Member

We have some good friends in Raleigh.  September is a great time to visit Portugal I'd wager.  We can't ever go then because my wife is in academia. 

What areas will you be checking out?  If you get near Cape St. Vincent/Cabo de São Vicente I can't recommend going to see a sunset enough!

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Trusted Member

@dolfandoug Right now our plans are to check out Lisbon, Porto and Coimbra....

Community Member
(@dolfandoug)

Eminent Member

@livinginusa Cool. I haven't been to Porto yet but look forward to in 2022.  Coimbra is very interesting on paper but I haven't visited it yet either.  Looking forward to hearing what you think about each one.

Anonymous

Hubby & I bought a townhouse here in the Algarve in 2017. I stayed and got my residency. Hubby continued to work in Kentucky until the summer of 2019 when he retired & joined me here. Now he is a resident also. We sold the townhouse & purchased a larger 4 bedroom house in 2019 anticipating a lot of company, no one came except covid & lock-down. We hope to welcome friends & family soon. We are very very happy here in the Algarve. We don't miss mass shootings, severe weather threatening life & structures, traffic, politics & crazy politicians, high taxes, high cost of living, and numerous other stressful situations.

We love the Algarve, the people, the culture, the food, our home and so glad we are here.

@peggyL

2 Replies
Community Member
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@peggyl. Toooootally agree.  From an article in the WAPO  today: "In just two days, more than 260 shootings across the United States killed 94 people and injured 236, according to data from the Gun Violence Archive....And they account for only a 48-hour snapshot of gun violence in America.".  That was our Mother's Day weekend in the US. 

Anonymous

@jeanne

Health & safety are the biggest factors that lured us here. The US has let the gun lobby ride roughshod all over the country. I grew up with hunting rifles in the house. My Dad was very strict about safety. He was not a zealot. 

No one wants to take away anyone's 2nd amendment rights. But there are a vast majority who don't actually know what their "Rights" are. The 2nd amendment says: "A well regulated Militia has the right to bear arms".  There is no reference to any "right" To Automatic Weapons, no right to clips that hold hundreds of rounds, no right for the mentally ill to own weapons, no right for Felons & other violent criminals to own weapons, no right that weapons be allowed Innside ALL public events, no right for an individual to own an arsenal... I could go on. As usual the loudest voices are the most misinformed. Sorry to get off on a tangent. 

Stay safe & well

@peggyL

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)
Eminent Member

Crazy politicians from Kentucky? Nooooo! Say it isn't true.

2 Replies
 Anonymous

@ralf

I was making a reference to Federal representatives from the top down to the scum at the bottom inclusive of all states.

@peggyL

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Eminent Member

@peggyl Oh there is crazy all over the place. As you said, it is widespread. Gaslighting is all the rage now. Rather than change policies and adjust the platform, they simply lie and gaslight. And people are more than happy to go along with the lies.

Page 1 / 2

spartan Fx

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online