NHR and British taxation – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Premium Member benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

UKTV Banner

NHR and British taxation  

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@vegasguideownmail-net)

Hello,

We are new here but already posted a question... we are on a roll!

We are completing our Residency before the Brexit deadline and as such will also be included in the NHR Tax Regime, I have a lot of questions regarding this but lets start with a couple here 🙂

1. I have read a statement that Portuguese Taxation starts at 20%, but is there a personal allowance in the same way that there is in the UK before this kicks in?

2. We have investments in ISA's in the UK, what is the tax treatment around those, are we able to maintain them or will there be some kind of penalty for entering the NHR regime?

3. As part of the SIPP rules in the UK, we will be able to take 25% of our pension tax free when we hit the ripe old age of 55 (we aren't far from it....), does this still stand true within the NHR regime?

Fully expecting the answer to all the above questions to be.... "Get yourself a tax lawyer!" which we will do once settled but wanted to get the heads up from the local experts before we arrive in Portugal.

Thank you in advance!

Neil

4 Replies

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hi @vegasguideownmail-net,

Yep, here it comes - get yourself a tax expert 😊 

As you are a Premium Member why not take advantage of the free tax consultancy from AFM. Click on this link for more information:

https://expatsportugal.com/premium-member-benefits/

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@vegasguideownmail-net)

@gerry  Thanks Gerry, will do!

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@vegasguideownmail-net

I'll have a stab at a couple of those.

We are completing our Residency before the Brexit deadline and as such will also be included in the NHR Tax Regime

Forgive me - I'm being pedantic here, just in case you may have overlooked something. You're not included in NHR by dint of getting residency prior to Dec 31st. Any new resident, from wherever, is eligible to apply for the status (but do note, it does need to be applied for as a separate process from registering residency - it isnt automatically conferred).

1. I have read a statement that Portuguese Taxation starts at 20%, but is there a personal allowance in the same way that there is in the UK before this kicks in?

No, that's not right about PT taxation starting at 20%. For benficiaries of NHR, qualifying income earned in Portugal is taxed at a 20% flat rate (but you have to be in the list of qualifying occupations in order to benefit from that).

The normal tax scales progress from 14.5% to 48% and for earned income and pensions there is a personal allowance equivalent, though nowhere near as high as the UK's, standing currently at 4,104€. There are some other allowances besides, though.

2. We have investments in ISA's in the UK, what is the tax treatment around those, are we able to maintain them or will there be some kind of penalty for entering the NHR regime?

Under NHR, you'd declare but not pay PT tax on the interest from those in Portugal. Without NHR, they'd be declared and taxed along with other income although you'd get a choice as to whether to have them taxed at a flat 28% or have them included with any other income and taxed at scale rates.

Premium Member
(@vegasguideownmail-net)

@x-camone  Thanks so much, that provides a little more clarity.  We'll continue to do our calculations before we land in Portugal.

Ei! Migration Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online