Overhelmed – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Overhelmed

12 Posts
4 Users
10 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@fearless)

Hi, Expat Portugal community.

My name is Karin, Spanish/German + Citizen of the World. I live in London, UK for the last 6 years. Finally, I have decided to move to Portugal hopefully next year in 2022. I have many questions to ask, I hope you will help me. I wish you all a good day. From London, Karin citizen of the world.

11 Replies
Premium Member
(@midlifecrisis)

Hi Karin,

You know how you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. I'm in South London hoping to move permanently next year too so perhaps we can form a support group 🤣 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@fearless)

@midlifecrisis Hello Eusebio.

Thank you so much for your reply. A support group would be great. I had the idea of moving to another country, I never ever thought about Portugal at all. It was a friend of mine who suggested to me Portugal. I hope we can get more people involved, share information, and help each other. Have a good day.

Kind regards.

Karin (citizen of the world)

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

Hi Karin, welcome to the group, Good luck with your planning! Do you know what area of Portugal you want to move to? I'm sure you will get answers to any questions you have here. I moved from Manchester 6 years ago and haven't regretted a single moment

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@fearless)

@pamalcobaca Hi Pam.

Thanks for your reply. I live, work + I am building up my own business. I am living in London. It was my web developer who suggested I move to Portugal. I don't know why I never thought about that beautiful country. Although I have things very clear I will need some assistance to finally decide which part of Portugal to move to. At the moment I am thinking of Central Portugal, a town or small city with character, nice & friendly locals but also friendly expats, also not very far from a nice beach. I lived years ago in Manchester for a short period. I am very pleased you didn't regret your move. I am sure I won't regret it either. 

Wish you a good day.

Karin

(@pamalcobaca)

@fearless Exciting times! Enjoy the research, exploring different places is part of the fun. Sounds like the Silver Coast might suit you, lovely beaches and lots of nice towns of different sizes, and varied rich culture. Internet is variable, so be sure to check that out and transport links to Lisbon if you need/want to go there regularly. I'm in Alcobaça which is about 20km inland from Nazaré and spend quite a bit of time exploring the region so if you want to know anything about any specific areas, just ask.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

@pamalcobaca How is the weather in winter? My wife is dead set on the Algarve she’s worried the weather will be to cold in the winter up north. Preparing a trip in December to house shop and hopefully purchase our new home. I have been concentrating in the Algarve but I’m seeing so many beautiful homes up north and along the silver coast

thanks for any input 

(@pamalcobaca)

@jgibson It is certainly colder and wetter the further north you go. Some years have been very rainy, others less so. We usually have nice warm weather until the end of October, then it can get rainy. Then weather is nice again from April (March if you're lucky). But there will be nice sunny days in between, not constant cold, grey weather you get in the UK! Only really cold months are Dec-Feb (can get as low as 0ºC. Important to have good insulation and heating. Algarve is certainly warmer/drier in winter is this is your main concern

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

@pamalcobaca Thank you for the reply

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@fearless)

Hi Palm.

Vital for me is safety (I'm moving only myself) + very good internet connection + airport. I am not sure if it is going to be safe for me to live in a little bit isolated house or rather be closer to people. There are lot's of things I need to have very clear.  

2 Replies
(@pamalcobaca)

@fearless Portugal is generally very safe and it is not unusual where I live to see young women out walking alone late at night. You don't have that air of menace that you get in some cities in the UK. I personally wouldn't like to live somewhere isolated. I like being able to walk to places and to have people around me, so I live in an apartment in a town. Internet is generally better in towns too!

Premium Member
(@fearless)

@pamalcobaca Thank you Pam for your help. I just don't see the day when I finally move to Portugal. My last moving country decision was between Portugal and Greece. The final decision was always Portugal. Thank you, Pam, highly appreciated. I am so pleased to join Expats Portugal. 

Kind regards.

Karin (Crazy old quirky cow)

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal