Private Healthcare & Pre-Existing Conditions – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Private Healthcare & Pre-Existing Conditions

Community Member
Topic starter
(@recursivefantasy)

Hi! So glad to be here. My family and I are planning on moving to Portugal (we love it there) and would like to find out how pre-existing conditions work in relation to private health care. It seems to me that most private insurance companies will deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions, but does that mean that will deny coverage entirely or can a person still be covered but for all other things not related to the pre-existing condition? 

Topic Tags
8 Replies

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

I believe that pre-existing conditions are covered after you've had the insurance for six months. That's my understanding for the Médis insurance that we have. 

2 Replies
Community Member
(@recursivefantasy)

@maxgravy This is great to know. At least I'm aware there are potential options if necessary. Thank you!

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

@maxgravy hello!

not knowing exactly what is your case and what is your policy, I have to say that medis usually do not cover any pre-existing conditions.

maybe the six months you are mentioning are related to the waiting period/grace period for the covers to be effective.

there is some options for people that have pre-existing conditions but Medis will not do that.

😉

Have a nice evening!

Ana

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)
Posted by: @recursivefantasy

can a person still be covered but for all other things not related to the pre-existing condition?

As a general rule, yes - you'd be covered for issues unrelated to the PEC(s).  Of course, some PECs can be of a nature which can lead to other things, so if that is the case, it's worth discussing this with the underwriters (and not necessarily taking the salesperson's word for it).

Posted by: @maxgravy

I believe that pre-existing conditions are covered after you've had the insurance for six months. That's my understanding for the Médis insurance that we have. 

Whilst I would not call into question what @maxgravy says regarding their policy, I would not assume this to be the case as a matter of course, across all insurers.  Please check all the fine print relating to any medical issues which are of importance to you.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@recursivefantasy)

@thomasribatejo Thank you Thomas. This is great to hear. Affordable healthcare and security for our kids is one of the primary reasons why we'd love to move to Portugal and I was quite a bit concerned about this. 

This is very reassuring.

Premium Member
(@bornaa)

Great question, following. Any recommendation on private health insurer? Would be good to hear experiences. Thanks in advance. 

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

Yep, message Ana Vieira. She is a good experience!

1 Reply
Community Member
(@recursivefantasy)

@bert Thank you so much. I just did. I saw her response in some other entries and she definitely seems to know her stuff. 🙂

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online