Private Healthcare & Pre-Existing Conditions – New Members - Start Here – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Private Healthcare & Pre-Existing Conditions

7 Posts
5 Users
10 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@recursivefantasy)

Hi! So glad to be here. My family and I are planning on moving to Portugal (we love it there) and would like to find out how pre-existing conditions work in relation to private health care. It seems to me that most private insurance companies will deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions, but does that mean that will deny coverage entirely or can a person still be covered but for all other things not related to the pre-existing condition? 

Topic Tags
6 Replies
Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

I believe that pre-existing conditions are covered after you've had the insurance for six months. That's my understanding for the Médis insurance that we have. 

2 Replies
Community Member
(@recursivefantasy)

@maxgravy This is great to know. At least I'm aware there are potential options if necessary. Thank you!

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

@maxgravy hello!

not knowing exactly what is your case and what is your policy, I have to say that medis usually do not cover any pre-existing conditions.

maybe the six months you are mentioning are related to the waiting period/grace period for the covers to be effective.

there is some options for people that have pre-existing conditions but Medis will not do that.

😉

Have a nice evening!

Ana

Community Member
(@bornaa)

Great question, following. Any recommendation on private health insurer? Would be good to hear experiences. Thanks in advance. 

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Yep, message Ana Vieira. She is a good experience!

1 Reply
Community Member
(@recursivefantasy)

@bert Thank you so much. I just did. I saw her response in some other entries and she definitely seems to know her stuff. 🙂

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal