Renovation project Serra da Lousã - waste water treatment – Building & Renovating – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

Renovation project Serra da Lousã - waste water treatment  

RSS

(@escapade)
New Member Community Member
16/04/2020 11:15 am  

Hi all.

We arrived here in our campervan a few weeks ago (before coronavirus really got going), visiting our long dormant Quinta renovation project. Since getting here and the lock-down setting in, we have to acknowledge the message that the universe is sending us! We're here now, the place is beautiful, the people lovely so and now is the time to get the renovation project going again. We've already made some good connections locally and things are already beginning to move. Structure was dealt with before. Windows and doors are now on order.

No particular questions for the forum at the moment - aside, perhaps, from one.

We need to sort out a system for our foul water and are aware that septic tanks are no longer legal to install (on their own) in the UK. I believe you now need to install a sewage treatment system to improve the quality of the water before discharging it. Portuguese rules might be more relaxed than the UK? Either way, we're not keen to take advantage of that and we have a number of wells that we don't want to find we've polluted. Does anyone know of good systems to use here and have experience of them? One thing I've seen is BioRocks but no idea how good it is or if there's something else that works as well (or better) and is cheaper?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Tom & Ali

(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
16/04/2020 12:23 pm  

Hi Tom, 

My husband has just ordered a "fossa" from a place in Evora for our Quinta. Let me ask him about it and get back to you.

Astrid

ReplyQuote
(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
16/04/2020 12:43 pm  

Hi Tom,

This is the brand that we got (but not in Evora as I was mistaken with other product he ordered). This location could be better for you anyway.

https://www.ecodepur.eu/equipment/domestic-sewage-systems

I think the site is very descriptive so should give you the info you need.

Good luck.

Astrid

ReplyQuote
(@escapade)
New Member Community Member
16/04/2020 12:52 pm  

@astridff Many thanks - really helpful. Looking them up now.

astridff liked
ReplyQuote
(@wayneb)
Active Member Premium Member
24/06/2020 10:14 am  

Did you manage to sort a system out? We are getting an architect to design our house, but it would be good to understand what options are out there and there relative costs/benefits.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
30/06/2020 3:18 pm  

@wayneb the fossa we recommended earlier post in this thread is down now and although not turned on yet as the rest of the house is still being built, so far it has been great.

My husband who chose it is an interior architect and was very keen on ensuring the house was as eco-friendly and as safe as possible from the extreme winter humidity and heat in summer we experience in the Alto Alentejo. 

I am no expert on sewerage but I know the machine treats the wastewater and then we are going to have it water the trees in our orchard.

If you have any questions, let me know.

wayneski liked
ReplyQuote
(@peterfc)
Famed Member VIP Member
30/06/2020 5:21 pm  

Hi All

A neighbour has just renovated a house opposite me and when it came to the Fossa his builders dug a hole in the land and built the fossa and then they filled the hole in. The land has now been landscaped with brita and you would never know where his fossa is.

In my house i don't know where mine is there are no opening and after 9 years i have had no problems.

Peter

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
01/07/2020 1:25 am  

Our situacion is similar to Peter´s.

The simple double tank system that came with the property was leaky and needed emtying regularly when it began to smell. The vendor said that it was good and they never needed to empty it.  HoHo !!. Perhaps they never used the bathroom.

We added a rock filled drainage pit at the end of the garden, and that seems to have solved the problem. It is under the compost heap and well away from the water borehole so it is not a problem, The borehole water is regulary analised and always comes back 0% contamination.

I would have prefered to add a septic drainage field, but could not get our builder to understand  this concept.

Our house is not conected to mains water or drainage. This saves a lot of money. 😉

Alan

ReplyQuote

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online